The Firearms Forum banner

Thinking about a 1911, but need some advice

Tags
1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Deathbunny 
#1 ·
Hi all. Need some advice here. I'm thinking about getting a 1911. Actually, I've got my eye on a seriously sweet Kimber, BUT I haven't quite got all the info I want. I've carried Beretta's, Sigs (thanks Uncle Sam ;) ), and Glocks. Let me say, I LOVE the .45 ACP round. I'm just not up on the 1911 platform. I've fired a fair number of 1911's, but I've never carried one "for real." So, my questions:
Carry cocked and locked, or not?
That grip safety, anyone ever have it fail to disengage? (I've heard horror stories)
Anybody think it's too big/heavy to carry concealed?
Is 7+1 enough or should I look for a double stack mag?

Any input would be greatly appriciated. Thanks!

#3 ·
Cocked and Locked! Always!

Have never had a problem with the grip safety.

I am usually wearing shorts, T shirt, and flip flops. Still I carry my .45 concealed. Take a look at the Smart Carry system, smartcarry.com

8 rds. of .45 shouold be way more than enough, so long as you can hit what you shoot at!

I had Jim Clark tune mine years ago, and I sometimes shoot targets at 65 yds. The accuracy is there, and the balistics prove that this is a rd. that will stop the BG with one well placed shot. I am of the school that teaches you to shot till the BG falls down, or is no longer a threat!

#5 ·
Many thanks for all the info! Now I got another question: does dropping the slide on an unloaded 1911 cause damage to the slide or barrel? I've heard both "yes" and "no" (from guys who should know -- one was an armorer instructor and the other a competitive shooter), so now I don't know. Any ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.