Thinking about a 1911

Discussion in 'The 1911 Forum' started by ord623, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ord623

ord623 New Member

Although I've been around guns all my life I'm pretty new to hand guns. It's always been rifles and shotguns. But I'm looking for a good pistol for home protection and the occasional day at the range. I've read some reviews and have somewhat decided on a 1911. After looking around I've come to the the conclusion that I'd like a Springfield TRP. But they are very pricey and money doesn't grow on trees!! Can somebody give me some insight to a good 1911 that I won't have to sell my kids to get!!!
  2. Country101

Country101 Active Member

If you want to spend that much money go with a Wilson Combat. If you dont have quite that much to spend try for a Kimber Gold Combat. I got mine for 1350+ tax. Excellent gun. Worth every penny to me. I got the stainless version and it's a beauty and shoots better than I ever will be able to. I got it for a carry gun, so I wanted a little more reliability and accuracy. If you want a little more inexpensive try a Kimber TLE. I think they run in the 8-900 range. That will probably be my next pistol if I dont decide to go with a compact. If you're just using it for the range and home defense, I'd go with the TLE and buy a 12 gauge to keep by the bed with the extra money you didn't spend. Hope this helps. Somebody else will be along in a while to give you some other options without my bias towards Kimbers.
  3. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

If you're careful and watch the auctions on the various sites, you can get a really good deal on a Kimber. I bought my Compact Stainless II for right at $600 before shipping and FFL fee.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Keep in mind that almost any 1911 can be made into an accurate, reliable weapon with a few parts and a little cash. Kimber is an excellent pistol which will hold good resale value. The Springfield "loaded" model is also a very good 1911.

You may check out the used 1911's in your area if you are on a budget. You could find a bargan.

Good luck. :)
  5. Well, ord, you could change your mind and buy a Glock instead, for about half what a 1911 would cost. :D ;) :rolleyes:
  6. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

No matter what you choose. You don't want a shotgun so I recomend anything in .45
  7. Jay

Jay New Member

I would make my standard reply here....

There are enough differences in the many 1911 style frames, that it would be wise (my opinon) to get your hands on as many as you can and see which one "feels right" to you. If you're not real happy with the feel of the pistol, you'll never shoot it enough to become proficient with it. One of the more relevant requirements for home defense is that the homeowner be proficient with his/her weapon of choice.
  8. stash247

stash247 New Member

Ord, Jay's offering some really sound advice; a 'home defense' weapon is seldom used in the waking hours, or with advance notice.
    Whatever weapon you choose, it needs to fit you to the point that you can shoot into a 5" circle, or less, without sight or light, at 7yds.
    For some shooters, there is a 'special gun', that seems to just naturally 'work' for them; most of us arrive at that point through much practice, with the chosen arm.
    Many commercial shooting ranges have a stock of 'rental' guns, so you can try before you buy; if such an operation exists, in your area, take advantage of it!
    Welcome to TFF.