Thinking about getting an AK47 who can help>

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by The Count, Jun 8, 2010.

1. The Count

The Count New Member

To complete my 'arsenal' i have been thinking about getting some kind of AK47 (already have a SIG556 and S2k) in 7,62x39. My budget for this is no more than $500. I have seen various models at J&G Sales, but its really confusing... Rumanian, Yugoslavian, Russian...?

Some kind of underfolder seems like something I would consider due to lighter weight and portability. So which model(s) would you guys recommend in respect to reliability, construction and accuracy? Really only want to take it to the range and shoot to maybe 150-200 yards max.

These guns sure pack a wallop. A guy recently shot one next to me and the pressure wave was impressive.

PS Strange how you can get ammo for this for around 20cents a pop in bulk while 30-30 rounds cost almost 3x as much
  2. oneshot onekill

oneshot onekill New Member

The best AK is the best one you can find for the price you're willing to pay. I wouldn't say any one manufacturer is better than another. Just more expensive based on construction and materials. Back when the AK and every other Assault rifle was going crazy I stumbled across a Yugo Folder with a 75rd mag and 2 30rd mags for $550.00. At the time it was a steal! Now, I don't know... but I'll tell you this... That freakin' thing is amazingly accurate! I can hit an 18"x18" steel plate at 300yds off-hand with that thing every time! Using cheap Wolf ammo. It's built like a piece of crap. Loose tolerances, crappy machining, unfinished wood, etc. But it works every time and it hits what I aim at. Just find one that will do that and you're GTG!
  3. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I used to own a Romanian WASR-10/63 and it was a decent rifle. It was very very reliable. The only time I ever had a problem was a stovepipe caused by a cheapo S. Korean mag. With the Eastern European commie milsurp mags I never had any issues. Accuracy wise, it was capable of what a buddy of mine called "minute of human," meaning that if you aimed dead center at someone's center of mass, it would hit somewhere on the torso. Not a tack driver by any means, but acceptable considering the weapon itself. I did find that the WASR hated both Winchester and Remington ammo. As for recoil, it was barely noticeable, but I would recommend getting some form of muzzle brake because they do help and the WASRs usually have a 14x1 LH threaded barrel.

I no longer own the WASR because I sold it right before I bought my current rifle, an Arsenal SGL-20. The SGL is above your limit of $500, but if you can somehow add about another $200 to your gun budget, I'd highly recommend it. I got lucky and found a local gun and pawn shop that carried Arsenals and Saigas, but they had to order me an SGL-20. He gave it to me for his cost, which was $639 (I actually saw the wholesell price from his distributor's website). I paid $689 out the door, which was still cheaper than the online gun sellers at the time. The SGL-20 is built on a Russian-made Saiga 7.62x39 receiver that Arsenal converts from ATF approved "hunting" configuration to "evil black rifle" configuration. It is basically a fixed stock AK-103 clone. They come from arsenal with US-made milspec polymer furniture and a US-made AK-74 style muzzle brake (which really helps a lot on the already light recoil). I replaced the standard length fixed stock with a "NATO length" fixed stock and installed an adjustable pistol grip (I'm 5'4" and have small hands but the standard commie sized grip and stock are just too freakin' small for me somehow). I also installed the Dog Leg rail mount from Texas Weapon Systems so I can run a red dot sight mounted low over the receiver (this setup also adds a peep sight which sits on the rear of the receiver cover. That alone is worth the price of the mount because I LOATH the standard AK sights). With regular Yugo M67 milsurp ammo I put 30 rounds inside a hole the size of a half dollar at 25 yards (I think that's the range at the local indoor rifle range), so it's much more accurate than the WASR. Don't ever let anyone tell you that all AKs are inaccurate junk. They aren't AR accurate, but a decently built AK with decent ammo can easily make acceptable shots even at 200+ yards. don't believe me? Watch this...http://www.youtube.com/user/nutnfancy#p/u/32/ru44_rc-tSc (Check out the full auto RPK:eek::D:D) He has also used an Arsenal SGL-21 (just like the SGL-20 but the 21 includes the accessory mount underneath the gas block, the 20 does not) and SGL-31 (an AK-74 clone) in some tactical "run and gun" type simulations and found them to be fairly accurate.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

That right there just about sums it up perfectly;)
  5. wingspar

wingspar Member

There is probably some truth to that, but if you do some research, you will find the options are mind boggling, and I’ve seen them from $499 to well over $1,200. There are even some versions that shoot the 5.56x45. I’ve recently become interested in acquiring an AK-47, but there is so much to learn before buying. If it’s important, milled receiver, or stamped receiver just for starters. Some good info here.

While the AK-47 will not be my next gun, it may very well be the one after the next one.
  6. The Count

The Count New Member

Thanks for all the info!

Think I found a good deal for a good (maybe not the greatest) AK along with a bunch of ammo:

Yugoslavian AK-47 Rifle M70AB2T with underfolder stock. + 640rd Tin 7.62x39 UCW Package Deal!

http://www.jgsales.com/product_info...al!/rifles/ak-47-and-rpk-rifles/cPath/209_214

Supposedly the Yugoslavian AK's are better than the Romanian ones but not as good as the Russian made Saiga. That's fine with me PLUS I am getting a tin of 640 rounds of decent russian ammo, for only $99 (thats 6 cents a round). Can't beat that.
  7. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I've heard great things about the Yugo M70 rifles and I've also ordered items from J&G before. they're a great company to do business with. You should be aware that most of the Yugo AK variants, like the Yugo SKS, do not have chrome-lined barrels. Not really too big of a deal, but it does take a bit more effort while cleaning. but like I said, it's not really that big a deal. I say go for it, that is a good deal. And welcome to the Dark Side, Comrade:D:p:p:p
  8. wingspar

wingspar Member

9. The Count

The Count New Member

you're right... wishful thinking. but 15 cents is still good.
  10. wingspar

wingspar Member

640 rounds at $99.90 is $0.1561 per round. :D I wish I could find .223 for that cheap. Heck, I’d love to see 9mm that cheap.

If that gun had wood furniture. I’d snap this deal up in a heart beat.
  11. The Count

The Count New Member

1000 rounds of 223 for $199.50 is about as good as it gets right now...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AW223MCFMJ55&groupid=21
  12. wingspar

wingspar Member

That works out to $0.20/round which is the cheapest I’ve seen it, but I don’t have that kind of money to drop on ammo at one time. I just picked up a couple of boxes of .223 from Cabelas for $6.49/box of 20. That’s $0.32/round. Cheaper than 9mm.
  13. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

You do get what you pay for though; the steel cases and relative poor quality end up taking a toll afterwards. Extractors and accuracy are left to fend for themselves. If all you want to do is spray rounds and you have the $$ for spare parts, then by all means, shoot it up! I'd rather have something that I can reload and know is going to hit where it's aimed within reason. I never have and never will shoot any steel cased ammo through an AR platform. SKS and AK's are another story...... parts are cheap and accuracy is already pretty krappie to begin with in most cases. ;) I reason that it's still better to shoot cheap ammo than to not shoot at all though. We all gotta have some fun and sometimes those darn budgets just have a habit of getting in the way, myself included...:(
  14. wingspar

wingspar Member

15. Para Cassatt

Para Cassatt New Member

I would buy new form the US. I.O. Inc. made in Monroe,NC. The factory supplied mag sucks though.