Thinking of an AR...Please Help

Discussion in 'The Pre-Ban Forum' started by KobraCarry, Jul 16, 2006.

1. KobraCarry

KobraCarry New Member

I'm thinking about getting an AR type gun. There are so many brands out there now I'm gettting brain damage just thinking about it. I'd use it for target/hunting/and some tactical applications via my work. Any advise on brand, caliber, etc would be greatly appreciated!
  2. blackhawkkid308

blackhawkkid308 Member

i like DPMS in 223 or 308
    bhk308
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Anything in .308.

Bushmaster, Dpms, and RRA are just a few off the good ones
  4. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

stick with the ABC's and youll be alright... :rolleyes:
    Armalite, Bushmaster, Colt, Dpms, Rock River Arms... you may want to wander over to AR15.com... tons of help there.
  5. KobraCarry

KobraCarry New Member

Hey All,

I ended up getting a new Smith and Wesson M and P 15T. It was a toss up between that, an Armalite and a Bushmaster. I figured I'd give the old boys at SW a chance. I have a buddy who has one and he loves it. I think it may be too new to tell. I have't been able to find many reviews on it. I topped it with an EOTech site. Should be fun when I get to the range in a couple of days. Does anyone have any feedback on the 15T?
  6. EEEZNOW

EEEZNOW New Member

I got a Stag Arms about a month ago and I am liking it a whole lot. It is still brand new though.
  7. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

Since I reside in Kaliforniai I was forced to buy a Kalifornia legal lower by Fab-10. I put an American Spirit Arms flat top upper with a match barrel and filled the lower with their parts kit. Now these are not name brand parts! But the gun is well made with excellent fit and finish, is accuarte, and is reliable. As a "kit" it went together fine with no problems other than removing the lower receiver "paint" from the holes where pins went. I think the AR15 design is so bullet proof it might be hard to screw it up, if it is really a MIL Spec'ed set of parts.

I also built a lower receiver for a family member out of a bare Stag Arms lower receiver and internals from an unknown to me source. It all worked great as well.

LDBennett
  8. lslubecki

lslubecki New Member

Beowulf .50 Kinda hard on the little squirrels though.

Steve
  9. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Yummy, the .50 beowulf, theres an AR15 caliber that I dont hear enough about, I need to do some more research on it...Seven rounds or so of 400 Grn .500 caliber bullets all packaged in a sexy black rifle...Mmmmm :D

I dont think the area razorbacks would have a chance. :D

Crpdeth
  10. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

Yo Crpdeth have you heard about Bushmasters new .45Bushmaster caliber that looks like fun:D :D
  11. EEEZNOW

EEEZNOW New Member

Where would you get the ammo. How much more is it than .223? It looks expensive.
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

No! But I'm gonna research it now! :D

Order it online I suppose, or handload...I kinda like handloading.

Sure it's expensive, about a dollar a round if you buy it, but that reminds me of my friends response regarding the Mustang he's restoring with way more power than anyone needs...I asked if gas prices would be an issue and he said "If you cant afford the gas, you dont need a car like this"...A little arrogant I suppose, but theres alot of truth in the statement as well.

Crpdeth
  13. EEEZNOW

EEEZNOW New Member

Yeah I guess you're right. You could still swap it back to .223 for plinking so that would be fine.
  14. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Darn good idea...is the mag well on the lower the right size?

Crpdeth
  15. KAMANFTW

KAMANFTW New Member

Given your criteria, I'd would select an AR from either DPMS or Bushmaster. Try a model with a free float handguard and 20in. heavy barrel with pre-ban flash suppressor. A fat top receiver combined with some form of front flip up sight(I have several rifles with the early GG&G front flip up sights and I love them) will give maximum flexibility in mounting sights and carry handles.

Check out the various websites and catalogs. If you want maximum flexibility, stick with rifles and accessories that are mil spec. That way, if you want to modify your rifle later on, parts will fit and function properly. Plus, there are a ton of manufacturers out there making all sorts of goodies for the AR.

Stick with either .223 or .308. If you go with .308, give Armalites AR10 a looksie. The mags are modified M1A mags that will still work in the M1A after being modified. Plus, the quality from Armalite is superb. Bushmaster did come out with a .308 AR, but they've unfortunately discontinued it. DPMS looks to have a good line of .308 AR's. However, it looks like the mags only swap with the stoner AR's.

If you want maximum flexibilty, though, go with .223. Ammo and mags are cheap and plentiful.

Oh, please be careful when you hunt with an AR. Check with your local game warden about what is and is not allowed. Get a small capacity mag when you hunt. Some wardens can be real sob's if they catch you with large capacity mags when hunting, even if they're stowed in your kit and not in the rifle. And carry only approved ammo.

KAMANFTW