Thinking of getting my first

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Tequila-John, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Tequila-John

Tequila-John New Member

Hand gun. Looking at the Glock 17 any input?
  2. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Join the SPROINGclub. Easy to clean and is dishwasher safe! :D :D :D :D
  3. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

Glocks are very popular with a few memebrs here on TFF.
    I have a photo of one of our members practicing at the range with his new one. You can tell he is enjoying himself ! ;)
    I won't name any names though..... :D :D :D :D :D :p

Attached Files:

4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum

Unfortuantely any input you get here is will be totally biased from either the Glockies or 1911 folks.

Lucky for you I'm a "Smith Wheelgun" person.

Don't buy the Glock :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  5. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

Welcome to the TFF and yes buy the Glock. :D :D
  6. happygunner

happygunner New Member

Hey no one ever got fired for buying a Glock. :) If you feel ok with the 9mm and many do I say go for it. ;)
  7. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

I'd look at the fairly new Springfield line of synth-guns before making a decision.

I'm not big on the Glock due to the safety style. Their light weight and high capacities are nice as well as that strip and disassembly being so easy. Their polygonal rifling makes them more than reasonably accurate at 100yds. I've carried a few models of Glock and don't just utterly hate them; they work.
  8. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Welcome to TFF. Don't let the 1911 crowd scare you. They are good guys at heart, just stuck in the past. ;) You can't go wrong with a GLOCK. Caliber is a matter of choice. I chose 9mm because I wanted lots of bullets over big bullets. You might think about the Glock 22 in 40s&w. The 40 is the predominate police caliber in the USA. It will also shoot the 357sig round with a barrel change. Either way Glock will do it better!

PS There is a reason the monkey has a Glock. A 1911 can't handle the abuse. :eek: :D :D :D
  9. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

As I have said many times before all metal guns are virtually forever while anything plastic has a limited life span. While that life span may be longer than your lifetime it probably won't be longer than your kids. If you plan to hand you guns down to your family forget plastic guns!

There are many adequate metal guns that are not just 1911 clones. I particularly like the CZ's. The CZ75B in 9mm, 40S&W, or the CZ97 in 45ACP are all excellent, durable, long lasting guns. And they have a real trigger rather than a "funny" one that half cock the gun on recoil or whatever a Glock trigger does. The extra mass of the heavier all metal guns helps to steady the gun on target and can make your scores better.

All that being said, buy whatever you really want or you will never be satisfied and that will effect your desire to go shooting. But do a little more research at the local gun store to be sure it is a Glock you really want.

LDBennett
  10. corpis66

corpis66 New Member

...oh Lord i dont wanna be around when the S*** hits the fan...

BTW buy a 1911 and never look back... :D :D :D
  11. wolfgang2000

wolfgang2000 New Member

Corpis, If he gets a 1911 he will be so far back in time he won't be able to look back. :eek: :D :D
  12. flopshot

flopshot New Member

hi tj, i have two 17's and like the gun alot. if this is your first handgun you may want to pick up a revolver rather than an auto.
    as you may have noticed , when the topic of Glocks comes up in this forum, there seems to be a crosstalk issue with the History Chanel. lots of babbling about some sort of 1911 thingamajig.
    the administrators are working on the problem.
  13. Tequila-John

Tequila-John New Member

Thank you guys for all the great info. I have alot to learn...
  14. delta13soultaker

delta13soultaker New Member

I'm a life-long fan of the 1911 since I first shot one as a kid, so I don't think I'm biased when I say the Glock 17 is among the best choices for a sidearm. My only gripe about them is the lack of a slide lever safety, but I still own one.

It's very, very simple...very, very, very reliable...shoots an acceptable defense caliber well within accuracy standards for self defense (yeah yeah I know .45 fans eat 9mm's on their salad lol)...and is built to take abuse above and beyond.

If you can find it on Google, take a look at what DoD did to the Glock 17 during test trials (along with other brands) and you will be impressed by the Glock results.
  15. Peanut Man

Peanut Man New Member

Glock by a long shot. I dumped my 1911 when I got a Mod 23 and Mod 27. Got some good money out of some nut for the 1911 too! Love the size, capacity, and numbers on the .40 shame the old World War One pistola shot fine, but hey, so did the M1903 and the Lee Enfield rifles, just not caught up yet.

Progress happens!
    :)
    Peanut Man