Thinking of going with Hornady

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Dennis C, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Been thinking for a long time of trying my hand at reloading, and I've been doing some research on different presses. I think I have decided to start out with a single stage press and go with the hornady lock and load kit. Before I buy it I would like any comments or concerns from experienced reloaders here. Here is a link to the kit

http://www.hornady.com/store/Lock-N-Load-Classic-Kit/
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It will serve you well. Just get your manuals and study up before taking the plunge.

I recommend at least 2, 3 or more is better. Get you the Lyman 49th and the Hornady 8th, if you go with 3 grab a ABCs of reloading. But most importantly, read the first 120 or so pages of the manuals. This is the how to part of the manual before you get to the load data. It will explain everything with illustrations and examples.
  3. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

Cant go wrong with it or a Rock Chucker.
  4. noylj

noylj New Member

The Hornady is very easy to learn on and its an excellent press.
    I have been loading with Hornady Progressives since the first one came out. Great machines.
    However, if you want a case feeder (I never any need for one in over 35 years with a progressive press (could it be longer than that?)), I would then consider the Dillon 650. However, the Dillons, to me, are simply not as open and easy to see what's happening.
    To me, presses decisions come down to:
    Forster Co-Ax
    Lee Classic Turret
    Hornady L-N-L AP (or Dillon 650, but you have to buy a case feeder or you'll go buggy)
    Dillon Super 1050
  5. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

What cartridges and how much volume are you looking at loading Dennis?
  6. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Would be reloading .380, 9mm, .38/.357
    I don't think volume would be an issue, I would say 250-500 rounds a month. I suppose if I get into more it may go up.
    I've been wanting to try reloading out for several years now, and my wife is looking for something to get me for Christmas so I am thinking this could be a super gift.
  7. Caneman

Caneman Active Member

can't go wrong with Rhed, Green is good as well, and i think you are wise to start with a single stage
  8. RandyP

RandyP Member

Hornady -like all the manufacturers out there - makes fine products that should last a lifetime. If the LNL meets your realistic ammo needs and budget it is a good choice.

For reference, I get 50-75 rounds per hour single stage and 150-175 RPH on my Classic turret.

Sometimes for pistol shooters the relatively low single stage output gets old pretty quick. It did for me.
  9. cutter

cutter New Member

I use a single stage for larger rifle calibers (don't shoot as many) and a progresive press for pistol and small caliber rifle!!! Started out on a single stage. A lot eaiser to learn on!!! Like fas been said here you can't go wrong with a red or green single stage,( I like the blue progresive best.)
  10. dbach

dbach Member