This 41mag Guy is in Hog Heaven

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by tex45acp, Mar 18, 2006.

1. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

I finally found the pot-o-gold at the end of the rainbow.......literally!! Since it was raining around here and I could do nothing to trim the honeydo list, I decided to drive to Austin to the SAXET gun show held at the Crockett Convention Center. I took some old holsters hoping to sell them and pick up another nice IWB for either my Wilson Professional or my Taurus PT-145 and there it was..... a stainless Ruger Redhawk in 41mag & with the 5 1/2" barrel I had been wanting for over 10 years. I have placed ads in every type of publication and on every forum I could find looking for one. I found a few used ones for much more than they were worth to me. This one was new, in the box with all the papers and it was priced right. I now have a companion to my stainless Ruger Redhawk 7 1/2" scoped gun also in 41mag. Woohoo!!
    Early Happy Birthday to me!!!!

2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Jan 1, 2003
    SW MS
    Excellent! Sometimes you are actually able to be in the right place at the right time. Got any pics?

3. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

The scoped gun is my 41mag Redhawk in 7 1/2" barrel length. I'll post the 5 1/2" gun that I just bought when I get my camera back from my son who took it on spring break. Wonder what kind of pictures will be on it when it returns. :p
    [​IMG]

4. Miss88

Miss88 New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    What kind of range do you shoot your scoped gun at? I have a Taurus 454 Casull that I just put a scope on but haven't shot yet. What would be a reasonably good grouping at 50 or 100 yards?

5. tex45acp

tex45acp New Member

With the 2X Leupold scope on my Redhawk, I can from a solid rest, hold a 3" average group out at 125 yards. I will not shoot any farther due to the jacketed hollow point bullet loosing its punch too quickly after that. At 100 yards I can hold the groups to 2 1/2" averages. These are with my handloads. I have not shot at any game animal with this gun unless they were standing broadside and standing still. I know some folks would argue with this limitation and claim that I will never get a shot waiting for those conditions to manifest. I take at least 1 whitetail a year here in Texas doing just that. Before that 1, I have already taken 1 with my bow and arrow.

You should be able to achieve the same results with the power of that 454 Casull. I have a friend that has a Freedom Arms Single Action in that caliber. He mounted a 4X Leupold on his and he has harvested Elk out to 150 yards.

6. Miss88

Miss88 New Member

Feb 22, 2006
    Great, thanks Tex. I'm going to try to spend some time with my 454 this weekend to see what I can do with it. I'll let y'all know. Unless it's so bad that I'm embarrassed.