This blew my mind when I saw it at the gun shop. Your input please.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Remington597, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Remington597

Remington597 Former Guest

So I stoped by a gun shop after the range trip and saw the following. It blew my mind totally. This is a folding semiauto .223 rifle. It barely weights in at 5 lbs. Think about it. My Ruger 10/22 weighs 8 lbs. This thing is all polymer. I lifed it with one arm using three fingers. I have never seen anything like it. He wants $499 for it. Also the bipod folds in. This thing is amazing.
    It takes Remington .223. The memory of how light this thing is , is still in my head. Please give me your input.

[​IMG]
  2. glocknut

glocknut New Member

You've peaked my curiosity, thats for sure.

A few years back I bought one of those 9mm high point rifles. It was cheap, something like $250 or something.
    At first I thought it was a joke....so I put it to the test...
    The long and the short of it all was that it was a reliable little plinker....
    Fairly accurate, utterly reliable...not one fail to fire and cycle properly.....
    I stuck the thing in the deep freezer for a few days and pulled it out and tested it, and it worked just fine....A test my Colt AR cannot pass by the way.....

So, it is quite possable that this Kel Tek rifle could be an Ok rifle.
    I sure like the way it is a flattop so you can get a scope closer to the same level as the barrell....
    A pretty steep price though. Add another $150 and you could have a POS colt.....hmmm....maybe its not bad of a deal...
    I'll have to take a look at one the next time I'm at a gunshop.....

mike
  3. Remington597

The gun shop owner said that they are selling like hot cakes, and he's a straight shooter (pun intended). No bullcrap from this guy. He's an ex Navy seal.
    I am still in shock over the weight of the thing. Its amazing. ,and I am sure the polymer is stonger than steel, it just feels weird. I am going to have to think about it. $500 is alot of dough. I may have to shoot it first. I am sure somebody at the range will have one soon. I'll report my findings back here.
  4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Oh boy.....here comes Gpostal..... :rolleyes:

That is a weird concept having a part of the stock fold out as a bipod.....

I've had bipods on just about every rifle I've ever owned, and unless its the swivel type, it's just not quite as usefull as it could be......
    Very few surfaces are level.....

mike
  5. Remington597

Yes, it is weird having it come out like that. I played around with it a few times, and could not get used to it. The gun shop owner said. "Groovy , huh!??!!!"
    I said , "Sure is, certainly not a Ruger or Remington, thats for sure!!".
    He goes. " Its a SWAT backup gun".
    :)
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  6. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

7. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

The sub2000 is what immediatly came to mind when I saw your postings Remington, the thing I did like about it was, that you could actually transport it, and it looked nothing like a firearm to many people...I tell ya, I think either weapon would make a great backpack gun, for whatever reason...No, you wouldnt have it at the 'loaded and ready position' in a hurry, but it would be easy to carry on the trail.

I have no idea what Colts you have owned, my only input here is that I have never owned one that has been a POS, maybe you've had bad luck, while I've had nothing but good luck, I dont know.
    I do know that Colt is not 'up there' with Kimber, Les Baer, Wilson, ect, but a whole lot of other guns arn't 'up there' either, but I still wouldn't consider them a POS.

~Crpdeth
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2004
  8. rosierita

rosierita New Member

:D :D no "real" comment, other than I LIKE IT!!:D light weight is always good in my book!:p
  9. rglbegl

rglbegl New Member

Oddly enough, this is a California legal weapon. I shoot with a gentleman who has one. He loves it. there are only a few metal parts in the reciever where they are important. I like the fact that the stock holds an extra magazine.( colt mags ) As for me, I wouldn't want it as a primary choice, but as a toy to add to the arsenal, this thing is worth it. Great conversation piece, shoots a common round, felt strong in my hands, just a little more kick because of the weight. I say get one Remington597, then do an in depth report on it for us all.

--Beagle
  10. ACC

ACC New Member

I know that the KAL-TEK pistol is a good firearm,works well and is dependable, having said that, maybe the rifle is the same quality.
    I think it's pretty neet:)
    Carl C&RAMMO
  11. glocknut

glocknut New Member

The one remaining Colt is a lightweight sporter......
    The Hbar got sold...as well as the 7.62 colt for lack of quality 762 mags....
    All three would jam at the slightest bit of use, not to mention unwillingness to function in colder weather.....
    A stiffer buffer spring seems to have solved the cold weather issue, and I have not tested it for number of rounds before it gets dirty and jamms up yet....usually arround 70 rounds or so.....

I'm a former AK owner, and am used to out of the box reliability.....I do not like having to tinker with a firearm to get it to the point where it works reliably.....
    So maybe they're not total junk, but I'm not overly fond of the design. They are very accurate, but not as reliable as my old AK's. The First impression that these rifles have made on me has stuck, and it will probably always be my opinion...
    I would not trust my life to one......

mike
  12. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Well, I certainally know what ya mean with the mags...I have a Ruger mini 30 that I ordered some aftermarket mags for...While out shooting some snakes in the bottoms, my friends were all but impressed with it, but after slapping the factory mag back in, it would operate flawlessly, I hate junk, so when we ran out of snakes we had some aftermarket mags to plink around on.

Unlike you, I certainally dont mind tinkering with a firearm, as long as it is pretty dang near perfect when I get done, I need to rest assured that it will go boom when I need it too.

Also true what you say about the AK...It's hard to get a bad one, pour some dry concrete in the action, and I'd bet money that it would still operate, very loose tolerances...they are just not 'my bag'...Ahhh, diversity makes the world go 'round though dont it. ;)

My AR is a bushy, so I havent had to confront any Colt AR problems.

~Crp