This forum saved me money

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by ryan42, Feb 14, 2012.

1. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I was so glad I joined this forum,for several reasons,the most recent reason is I was reading a post about reloadable brass that was damaged.I went to a gun show bought 1000 45 acp casings to reload,the vendor told me they had all been pressure tested and inspected so after looking at a few I took there word for it.When I got home I realized alot of them were bent at the mouth and I was getting ready to throw them out.Then I was reading on here that when you size them it should take care of it as long as they were not cracked.I grabbed them up and went to town and saved about 90% of them.That saved me money.The second reason I like this forum,there are alot of great members on here.They have never met you and they are willing to teach you what they know and share there personal experiences with you and thats just cool.I was reading the same post about damaged casings and the guy wanted to see some pictures of damaged brass that was reloadable and it was about midnight and very cold,I cant remember the members name but he said it was to late and cold and they were in his shed and he would look for them in the morning before work.And Ill be darn 10 minutes later in his night clothes he went out in the cold and got them and put the pictures on here for them. Now where else is someone going to do that for you or us.Its just awsome.Thanks Ryan
  2. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

3. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what the guy meant by pressure tested unless he was trying to be funny. The only way I know of to pressure test is to load and shoot them.

Now that you've culled out the damaged ones...... go through them again and look for any headstamps with a NT on them. Don't trash them, just seperate them.
  4. BETH

BETH Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum glad everyone helped u on here
  5. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

hey howlnmad,I just glanced at a few had some fed,cci,winchester I didnt see any NT but I wasnt lookin but I will.Then what do I do with them?
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

the NT use small pistol primers; be CERTAIN to seperate them prior to trying to cram a LPP in them. Check the each primer to make sure you've got all LPP. I don't pay much attention to the headstamp; it's primer size that matters no matter what.
  7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Ryan and jlloyd, thank you for the kind words.
  8. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I did check for the primer size and they are all large primers so Im good there
  9. howlnmad

howlnmad Well-Known Member

woolley done answered it for me. There's nothing wrong with them. I just didn't want you to try to smash a LPP into a SPP pocket
  10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

I came up with a rather efficient use for the small primer pocket .45s rather than separate them and load them separately. They make excellent action proving/training dummies. And its a worthwhile assembly since a-zoom and pachmeyer snap caps are around 16 bucks for 5 of them.

Just a little crazy glue around the bullet, then seat it to desired OAL, then a little crimp and then fill the primer pocket and headstamp with RTV silicone. Choose your color, they even have snot green. They are equivalent to snap caps, only better because they didnt cost much and they are actually made with THE bullet you intend to run thru your gun.

And as you can see the NT stamp arent the only Small Pocket .45s either..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  11. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    Yep! I picked up a few hundred rounds the other day at the range. All of it Federal, and none of it marked NT. Cleand them, sized them, and set them aside. I look to see more, and more, manufacturers going to the SPP in the .45ACP to save money on the loaded round. Keep em if you find them, just keep em seperated. Makes reloading em a lot easier. Thinking about making me up some dummy rounds. Mix a one, or two, in a mag, and practice FTF reloads.
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
  12. RandyP

RandyP Member

GREAT idea for those home-made snap caps - one suggestion would be to paint the bullets some bright color so they can never be confused with a live round.
  13. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

Like the snap cap idea! Also two thumbs up for GMoody. I had a chance to talk with him on the phone about a month ago. He's a great guy that really loves the hobby/sport of reloading and shooting. I had some questions about my RL550b and he took the time to send me pics of his, which helped a lot. I visit many gun/reloading boards, and by far this is my favorite. Everyone is willing to help each other out.
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

YEP! thats how beck and I practice. rarely do we have a range session where we arent clearing FTFs. :)
  15. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Easy with a colored sharpie. Though for my purposes, when Im helping a new shooter leard to shoot a handgun or just training with the wife its best they look like real ammo. That way they get loaded in at complete random and are a suprise when they chamber and dont shoot. Expecting a weapon to malfunction is one thing, Knowing exactly what to do when it does without hesitation is quite another. Plus I have watched my wife evolve into an unflinching shooter training with dummies. There was a time when she couldnt hit anything but the ground in front of the target, and now shes almost robotic with her pistol control. Its awesome.