This gun as a long-term survival-rifle?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Swiss_Gunner, Feb 15, 2017 at 4:41 AM.

1. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

I'll take your word for this George, you have a suppressor, and I don't. I do know that shorts, or subsonic ammo in my bolt action rifles are as quite as an air gun. I've shot beside one before. And that's more noise than just hearing the hammer strike the firing pin!

joe45c likes this.
  2. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

I see that comment all the time. It really amazes me.

I was looking for something with a little more power, to reliably take down the squirrels in my pecan trees. Super Colibri will kill them, but at more than about 15 feet it don't kill them NOW. They run off and die.

So I read all these claims of the great quietness of sub-sonics and shorts - how they are as quiet (or quieter) than a bb gun. How you just hear the hammer fall.

I load up my Remington 572. 22 inch barrel. Standing at my back door, shooting at a pine tree 15 feet away.

Super Colibri - pop. The bullet hitting the tree was louder.

CCI CB Longs - POP. Louder than a bb gun. Much louder than the Colibri. But quieter than a cap pistol.

CCI Shorts. Not "CB Shorts" - regular Shorts. KA-POW!!!

I went back inside and put the gun up, in case the neighbors called the cops.

At other times I have tried sub-sonics - both Remington and Aguila. They're quieter than "Hi Velocity" ammo, but that don't mean they're quiet.

firefighter1635, carver and joe45c like this.

3. Swiss_Gunner

Swiss_Gunner Well-Known Member

Wow. These are tight laws for sure... But did I get this right; a simple nut to screw on a barrel is illegal? I guess most people could craft such a device in their garage... How do they want to control that?

carver likes this.
  4. Don Fischer

Don Fischer Well-Known Member

Survival. No doubt in my mind a bolt action 22 LR. It will kill just about any game animal you shoot with it, In it's case, bullet placement is everything. Would you rather carry around 50 loaded 223 rds or 50 22LR rounds. If your are talking about defense while trying to survive, a 22 LR is every bit as lethal as any center fire cartridge, just won't do it as far!

Swiss_Gunner likes this.
  5. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

It's not illegal to have a nut to screw on your gun. It's illegal to have an unregistered silencer.

And any attempt to quieten a gun, even if it does not work, is legally "building a silencer".

Tape a plastic bottle on the muzzle? Silencer, prison sentence, huge fine. Stick a potato on the muzzle? Silencer, prison, fine. Lawnmower muffler? Silencer, prison, fine.

6. carver

carver Moderator Supporting Member

7. Swiss_Gunner

Swiss_Gunner Well-Known Member

ok... If I stick a potato on my gun here in Switzerland people would look at me strange, but that would be about it. In Switzerland, a "silencer" is considered "a device with baffles made specificly to be screwed onto a firearm in order to reduce its sound". (I hope I have translated that right...) The fine for illegally making or acquiring a silencer is not prison, but a fine around several hundred up to thousand Swiss Francs. And you might would lose the right to own guns.