This is bugging me, i gotta know!

Discussion in 'Knives & Edged Items' started by shooter, Nov 13, 2006.

1. shooter

shooter New Member

ok so im looking at knives..the ones i see that i like say something like "for military, police, fire" ....i dont have to be one of those to buy one, but if i ever had to use it the court part bugs me..those knives are no more deadlier than the spyderco i carry but i imagine in court some lawyer could use that against me.."why are u carrying a knife that says its meant for the military , law etc" see where im going with this?..none of the ones i am looking at are "assisted" folders..just plain ole manual blades ..so whats your take on this??...its prb a lame question but i want to be a lawful citizen and all that so i just had to air this out..ok i fell better..
    so in short does it really matter what knife you buy except a switchblade and i know they are a no no..so am i worried about the "wording" of the knife too much?
    discuss :D

my spyderco
    [​IMG]

what im looking at (i like the Lightfoot the best)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2006
  2. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

I would worry more about why I'm carrying a knife for defense instead of a gun!
    Knives will get you hurt very quickly. In most places, gun carry permits are available.
    Bill
  3. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

If you just need it for work or somethin I would say buy you one the only ones truely intended for Police are automatics
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth New Member

Shooter

Personally I wouldnt think twice about it, unless it says "LEO/Government use only" or something like that...a lawyer may try to use it against you, but your lawyer would quickly show that (like you said) it is no different than 100 other knives on the market.

Bill said something here that got me thinking...I'd be more worried about why I cut someone than what platform I used, getting your CCL would sure open up alot of different opportunities as well, I believe one of our members recently stated that automatics are even covered under his CCL in his State, although unfortunately that are not in mine.

Man, I REALLY like the looks of some of those CRKT knives.

Crpdeth
  5. shooter

shooter New Member

i actually have passed the CCW course..i just never filed the paperwork...i wanted it mainly for the job i had..i lost that job a month after going through the course and just kinda lost interest in getting a CCW for the moment..i know weird
  6. john riley

john riley New Member

CRKTuses that more as a marketing ploy than anything else, I as you average outdoorsy adventure loving guy see something labeled like that and say "hey if it's good enough for Military rigors, it's got to be good enough for me" However thet make the same line of M16 folders like you posted for civillian outdoor use I've had one for 3 years it is almost identical except the blade is not black it appears to be more of an annodized or bear blasted nonreflected finish, it's a great blade, take's a beating , and what's cool about it is the action of the knife is controlled by a flat head screw so if you get some play between the blade and handle after alot of use you can just tighten it. I for one carry a leatherman wave for day to day use it has 2 3&1/2 inch onehand opening blades one with a drop point and one serrated both lock in to place with a liner lock when opened definitely not a combat knife but would do the trick if I needed to defend myself in the majority of C.Q.C. scenarios and legally it's just a multi tool
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2006
  7. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

If you want really cheap and nasty; try out one of the new razor box openers they sell at the parts store. I'd almost be willing to take odds on how much time before they are illegal. What those will do to a guy is far from pretty; I've seen it. Otherwise a knife is a knife; long as you don't get into the automatic rash, the great grey expanse in knife laws.
  8. john riley

john riley New Member

The folding box cutters leave nast wounds but IMHO much like the often disputed .22lr (although a killer lacks "stopping power") Working ems in NYC I"ve seen a couple of edged weapon wounds from razors knives screwdrivers etc The razors leave nasty wounds but are short in length and often cannot penetrate to vital or really painfully debillitating areas nature's pretty effeciant in putting all the big vessels deep in the body (with the exception of the vessels in the throat). With this type of implement you are also limiting yourself to a slashing weapon as opposed to a slashing and thrusting weapon cutting your arsenal in half. That being said the wounds these things cause are bloody, and nasty, and I certainly would not want to be on the recieving end of it.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2006
  9. Light Coat

Light Coat New Member

True enough they are not that deep. Box knives talk to that mental conviction that you are in much deeper trouble than you may actually be. My true love is a claw hammer for close and personal beatings. Pipe wrenches are nice too.
  10. stash247

stash247 New Member

Light coat said a lot, with a little, here! BillDeshivs, as well!
    I'm gonna offer that showing up to a gunfight, with a knife, is risky; a baseball bat would be a better choice!
    If you are gonna depend on an edged weapon for primary defense, for whatever reason, get some knowledgeable assistance, in learning 'how it works', to stave off your heirs!
    I will not deny that a good man can 'zero' an (gun) armed opponent, with a knife, having been to that Matinee, but will offer that had I the option, shooting such an opponent is a lot less work, and risk.
    As to the advertising, of Military, police, etc., it amounts to no more than that; were I in the jury, at your trial, I would simply pray that yours was the only story I had to hear, before retiring to deliberate. My concern would be for circumstance, and action, without regard for the tool.
    Hope this is of some help.
  11. I'm reminded of that old adage: "Never bring a knife to a gunfight." :D
  12. ShadowHunt

ShadowHunt New Member

Lawyers will find anythinig they can to get stuff on you that doesnt look too good. I say go ahead and buy the thing if it means that much to you. Just be ready thaincase the time does come that you are in court and that the knife subject does come up then be ready to explain that there is no difference in lethalness between them.

Also, dont be surprised if the judge would ask you "Why couldnt you just go with a regualr knife, why does it have to be for military?"

Good Luck and stay headstrong!