This may be a dumb question.. lowest possible velocity loads - how to make them?

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by WHSmithIV, Aug 19, 2012.

1. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

This just might be the perfect solution.

By the way, I meant to state that it isn't a noise issue. Also, the only pistols I want to analyze stresses in are revolvers. I wouldn't even bother trying this with a semi-auto. I'll check for stress issues in old semi autos microscopically before test firing them with standard loads. Flintlocks are a different issue entirely.

Thanks everyone for the input.
  2. The Count

The Count New Member

What you are looking for is hot ice cream...just does not exist. The only way you will get to a noise level where you can shoot in your garage and not have to worry about the neighbors hearing it is if you get the .22 Colibri rounds from Aguila and shoot them through a rifle. As in bolt action rifle because they are way to weak to cycle an auto. Those only have primers but no actual charge. And even those when shot through a .22 revolver are not really quiet, like a very small fire cracker. Save up for a suppressor, but on a .22.
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  3. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I have a buddy that does this or something close to it. Barely goes pop, don't think that wax would penetrate 2 layers of tissue paper.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Its not very fast. I popped my wife in the buttcheek with one from a .44 mag revolver. it left a decent whelp. She made me let her shoot me back.. And dumb ass me loaded 6 wax bullets in the cylinder.. I got 5 in the back and but before making it to the bathroom to shut the door. :D
  5. The Count

The Count New Member

Sorry to be a party pooper but what some of you here are recommending is just not a good idea. Wax or no wax, just stick to the official load tables with standard bullets and go to a range. JLA I cant believe you condone shooting each other with a gun no matter what is loaded in it.....!!!! This is exactly how **** happens.
  6. The Count

The Count New Member

NRA Pistol Instructor and RSO speaking here...
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

my thoughts exactly
  8. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Youre right. And I dont condone it. Just because ive done it doesnt mean it was a good idea. But it was fun for a few minutes.
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

experienced gunsmith and sane minded adult speaking here. ;)
  10. Country101

Country101 Active Member

I shoot at people with blanks and lasers...... :D And get paid to do it.....
  11. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Lucky! My boys and I play airsoft and paintball all the time too. But i dont get paid.. Just whelped.
  12. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

True story. When I was in my early teens my father shot my brother with a wax bullet on purpose. My brother was kneeling with his pants tight against his leg and my father wanted to see what would happen so he shot my brother. My brother let out a yell and then my father looked at me with the gun in his hand and I tore off out of the house. Later when I snuck through the door my brother was sitting there eating a big banana split because my dad felt bad for doing that to him. I don't think my brother really ever forgave him for that and I am sure my father has always regretted it.
  13. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

They make rubber training bullets that are designed to be fired with a primer only. they are cheap and reusable. Using a paraffin wax plug is the very same thing and cheap. But you cant reuse the wax plug. it usually becomes very flat after hitting whatever you shoot with it.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/257438/x-ring-rubber-bullets-44-caliber-430-diameter-box-of-50

And they also come in .48 and .45 cal too.
  14. Country101

Country101 Active Member

JLA, we use SAAB gear or MILES here for training and drills. It's a blast. It really makes things interesting. I wish we could use simunitions so we could have some impact with it. The laser is better for distance, but you would get better reactions if they were getting pelted.

We go paintballing every once in a while. Wish I could afford to do more of that. That paint is expensive. I got a Tippmann A5 a while back.
  15. tcox4freedom

tcox4freedom Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I think I'll order me some. They sound like fun.

When you use rubber bullets, does the primer provide enough energy to cycle the action; or will that still have to be done manually?