This might be a dumb question, but...

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Sandman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. Sandman

Sandman Member

Jun 17, 2009
    Louisiana
    I am a newbie, so this may be a dumb question. Actually, I have bought a manual and a lee anniversary kit and have yet to load a round...

My reloading area will be my shop by necessity (no room in the house). My shop is not climate controlled. Is this a concern in the storage of powder? Or do the plastic bottles secure it against moisture getting in? If I need to find a spot in the house to store it, I can do so, but would really prefer to keep it near my reloading station.

2. RandyP

RandyP Active Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I was going to caution against freeze-thaw cycles but suspect you don't have many of them in Louisiana? -lol

My memories of Ft Polk though old remain crystal clear. HIGH humidity and keeping yer powder dry during reloading could present a problem? Kept within their plastic jugs, powders are well protected from this of course.

3. artabr

artabr New Member

I use to store my powder in my reloading shed/metal building. I never noticed any problems and have shot some pretty good groups.
    That being said, I would think that repeated temperature changes over time would have to have some effect.
    I have started storing my powder & primers in the house.
    I'm south of Lafayette, not far from the coast.

Groups shot with powder & primers stored in non-climate controlled conditions.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      59.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      55.8 KB
      Views:
    • 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2009
  4. I strongly recommend the NRA training course, "Metallic Reloading".

5. Oneida Steve

Oneida Steve Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Upstate NY
    Don't worry about the powder or primers. They are a lot tougher than most people think. Keep them in their original containers and you won't have a problem.

6. Gearheadpyro

Gearheadpyro New Member

Oct 11, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Keep the powders in the containers with the caps on tight and you'll be ok.

Primers are not hygroscopic so they are a non-issue, unless your place floods, that could mess them up.

7. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Athens, Georgia
    I keep my powder in the house until I get ready to use it. Even though it probably wouldn't hurt anything, I just feel better about keeping it in the house vs. the metal building that I have my reloading setup in

8. medalguy

medalguy Member

Feb 20, 2009
    New Mexico
    I've never heard anything about freeze-thaw cycles regarding powder. Anything to this? Why?