This shows just how important an election this one is.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jjmitchell60, Jul 10, 2012.

1. jjmitchell60

jjmitchell60 Active Member

Raised in Buzzard Roost near Frog Town in hillls o
    I can only PRAY I live so long.
    Now here is one person who has decided that this election is a lifetime event that needs everyone to vote. 105 years youngand last time voted was when Hoover rasn, Link and story:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/48134244/ns ... ington_ky/

105-Year-Old Harrodsburg Woman Registers To Vote

WLEX-TV

updated 41 minutes ago

The last time Margaret Harris voted was in the 1928 presidential election pitting Republican Herbert Hoover against Democrat Al Smith.

Now at 105 years old, Harris says she plans to get back into the political fray in November.

Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes and Mercer County Clerk Chris Horn helped Harris register to vote last week, making her eligible to cast a ballot in the 2012 presidential election.

"Every vote counts, and no one who is eligible to vote should be prevented from doing so because of factors related to age, disability or illness," Grimes said. "I know how important it is and was to my grandmothers to vote, and I know they are proud that I was able to help Mrs. Harris register and educate her about absentee voting."

Harris was born in 1906, 14 years before woman were guaranteed to the right to vote in the U.S. She said it felt good to cast that ballot back in 1928, and she's excited about voting this year.

Harris credits God, family and work to her long life. She was 10 years old when she moved to Harrodsburg, Kentucky's oldest city. Harris lives on the city's oldest street. She has been a member of the same church, where she also attended school, since moving to Harrodsburg. She still attends every Sunday.

Harris worked in Harrodsburg for 37 years and is the matriarch of five generations. She raised nine children, and she says she is especially proud that each of her five sons served in the military. She has more than 50 grandchildren and 50 great-grandchildren, and nearly 20 great-great-grandchildren. Her family raves about her cooking, and offers glowing reviews of her fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, candied yams, and corn pudding. She says she always grew and canned her own vegetables and raised her own chickens.

Since retiring, Harris spent time traveling across the United States with her daughter Mary. She lives independently and still does some of her own cooking.

"Mrs. Harris has been a fixture in her community for nearly a century, and by voting in the upcoming election, she will add to her already impressive legacy for its future," Grimes said. "I hope her example inspires others to take an active role in elections, and shaping the path of our state and nation."

The deadline to register to vote in the November 2012 Presidential election is Oct 9. Individuals interested in registering to vote should visit www.sos.ky.gov
  2. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Active Member

Good for you Mrs. Harris. You should be an inspration for all.
  3. Dennis C

Dennis C New Member

Good for her!

So many people have sacrificed so much to give us the freedom to vote and it makes me wonder why voter turnout isn't 90% plus every election. Do schools teach anything anymore besides how to post on facebook and that it's ok that little Jimmy has two dads?