This Will Stop Them

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by Terry_P, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

They can't be serious. I wonder who's relative makes whistles.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/west/chi-oak-park-whistles-w-zone-9dec09,0,5280002.story

Thousands of Oak Park residents are being equipped with a simple device to help fight crime in the village.

Police are passing out whistles that they are urging citizens to blow if they are victims of or witnesses to a crime.

Officers distributed hundreds of the shiny whistles at two stations along the CTA's Green Line in Oak Park on Friday and will be passing out more Wednesday along the Blue Line. Giveaways elsewhere are expected to take place in the weeks ahead.

"We think they are going to go quick," said Oak Park Police Cmdr. Keenan Williams.

The village conducted a similar program in the 1980s, and Police Chief Rick Tanksley earlier this year suggested bringing it back after statistics showed that burglaries and robberies were on the rise.

Cell phones are often taken during robberies, leaving a victim without a means to quickly call the police. But if a victim or witness to the crime blows the whistle it is hoped someone within earshot will call 911 and report the incident immediately, Williams said.

The village had about 3,000 whistles delivered at a cost of about 50 cents each, he said. The cost was paid by Community Bank, whose logo is on the side of each whistle. If this first round of giveaways is a success, Williams will seek more sponsors, he said.

Commuters at the Oak Park Avenue station Friday seemed to think the low-tech approach was a good idea.

"I would use it," said Charlotte Niznik of Oak Park, who witnessed two thefts on the "L" in recent days. "It's a universal signal."

Thelma Varnado of Oak Park said she planned to put her whistle on her key chain.

"I think it will make a difference," Varnado said. "If people use it and are aware, I think it can be a deterrent."

But not everyone thought using whistles for crime fighting was a great idea.

"I think it's kind of a waste," said Tom Jablonski of Oak Park, who thought the sound of whistles blowing wouldn't have much of an impact because people might think it's just a child's toy.

Officers are willing to take that chance in hopes that ultimately they will help stop a crime and empower residents, Williams said.

Officers likely will visit senior citizens buildings soon to distribute the whistles to those who may be most vulnerable to crime, Williams said.
  2. Eddie N

Eddie N New Member

Two-way radio type?
  3. Claude Clay

Claude Clay New Member

there, i fixed it:cool:
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

nice.

I think there going to end up with a lot of crying wolf incidences. The cops will start responding to whistle blows like they do car alarms which is never.
  5. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

"If you need anything, just whistle. You know how to whistle, don' cha?'
    (With apologies to ‘Slim’!)
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  6. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

Give me a break. A lady screams rape and everybody just gathers around to watch. *&*& (**&< and shove the whistle up their ***,
  7. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

Plus now whats gonna stop the BG from taking their whistle? They already took there phone and there wallet whistle going to be the next on their list.
  8. graehaven

graehaven Well-Known Member

Progressivism at its finest. Coming to a city near you too, well, probably nearer to me anyway. Anything good enough for Chicago, MUST be good enough for NY too.
  9. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

Wow, that idea blows:eek::p

Gee, I'm sure that will work out so very much better than just letting people carry guns for self-defense:rolleyes::rolleyes:
  10. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Oh, my, what a GREAT idea!
    This ranks right up there with the protection from Grizly bears which hikers get by wearing little bells on their ankles.

Well maybe not QUITE as good as the bear bells. At least with them, you know the bear that jingles when he walks is guilty of eating a hiker -
  11. Marlin T

Marlin T Well-Known Member

Can you hear a bear **** in the woods? Only if he has eaten a hiker.

That place (Chicago) sucks.
  12. hogger129

hogger129 Active Member

yeah where are the police at when you blow the whistle? the he&& with chicago. when the british were invading, did we blow whistles for someone to come help us? no, we got the guns and shot them.
  13. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

Whistles have their place. When we were planning our most previous TEA party, I issued whistles and two-way radios to selected persons in our crowd. I also met with a (very) selected few whom I knew would be armed. There had been word that a certain union was planning of infiltrating and were concerned about security.

Of course, I also contacted a few people in said union and told them just a leeeetle bit about our plans. >:) It was a very peaceful rally.

Pops
  14. johnlives4christ

johnlives4christ Former Guest

imagine if the cops passed out smith and wesson 38's with ammo. said.. if you are the victim of, or witness a crime....use this. that'd be sweet
  15. 40CalJoe

40CalJoe New Member

U.F.R. What a bunch of pathetic, liberal excuses of leaders. When are the people in Chicago going to wake up. Everyone should march down to city hall and starting blowing on them whistles.