Thompson Center R-55 Benchmark

Discussion in 'Feedback Forum' started by redrider, Apr 29, 2010.

1. redrider

redrider New Member

I am going through a rather frustrating experience with TC.
    I bought an R55 Benchmark from my local gunshop. I bought this gun because of it's supposed exceptional accuracy that rivaled the custom guns in a semi-auto platform. In short the gun would not group. Either the barrel is not square with the receiver or the holes for the scope base are not square on the receiver. Additionally, and it could be that I was near the end of adjustment on the scope, I got a 5inch diagonal five shot"group" at fifty yards.
    I returned the gun to my gunshop and they took the lead in trying to return it to TC. Nobody at TC would return their calls.* After a few weeks of getting the same spiel from my gunshop, I tried, guess what, they wouldn't return my calls either. I tried waiting on hold for half an hour and still no contact. In despairation, I tried an email. It worked.* Living in the Republic of California, I have to go through an FFL dealer to return the gun. TC told the gunshop to return the gun and they would reimburse for shipping.
    The gun has been with TC since mid January. I have initiated contact with their customer service on numerous occasion since then. Every time it was the same old thing "we don't know when production will resume. You'll just have to wait". Of course it's paraphrased, but that was the gist of our conversations. About a month ago they offered to give me a spotter instead of the Benchmark. I did not accept this as I see it as a step down. Since then I have been offered a G2 and more recently,a Venture. I suggested an Icon Precision Hunter which was dismissed.* All their efforts fell short in terms of value. Suffice to say, they have a very cavalier attitude an have done nothing to appease me.*
    Now I get a reply to my numerous emails saying that the customer service supervisor put in an order to production to replace my gun.* What that turned out to mean was that if and when production resumes, I will " hopefully" get one.
    There is still no time frame attached. It could be MONTHS.
    Be advised, if you get a TC with a problem, you might as well kiss your money goodbye.
    Thanks for letting me vent.* *RR
  2. redrider

redrider New Member

Just an update, don't want to get too excited, but got a call from TC customer service supervisor saying my gun would be assembled on Monday, test fired and shipped out. RR
  3. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

redrider, sorry to hear about the problems with your TC for one, and second glad you posted this about you customer sevice issues with TC. I'd have to go digging back, but I dont recall TC being brought up much on TFF.
    For the past few years, Ive been thinking of buying one but had no clue of their CS, but after reading your post...definatly got me thinking twice.
    Like to see an update when you get your TC back!
  4. redrider

redrider New Member

This is an update to my situation. After posting threads on different forums and emailing Smith and Wesson requesting that their VP Marketing, who is also VPM for TCA ( or his secretary) contact me. Miraculously I received a phone call the next morning from the customer service supervisor. She informed me that the barrel had come off the production line and that the gun would be assembled on Monday 5-03-2010, it would then be test fired and shipped out next day air along with extra mags and a hat for my troubles. I stopped by the gunshop on Wednesday 05-05-2010, the gunsmith and gunshop owners had already done an inspection and found cracks in the laminated stock and the barrel off .050 from square from the receiver to the end of the barrel which is less than 18 inches. This was apparent without all the precision measurement because of how the barrel sat in the stocks channel. What I can't understand is how it could have been test fired and proclaimed to shoot a one inch group. The group would have had to be off to the left again, was that not a telltale sign that something was wrong? The gunshop and gunsmith had already contacted TC and read them the riot act. The next morning I called TC and the customer service supervisor returned my call shortly afterwards. At that time I was offered any Icon except the Precision Hunter. After consulting my the gunshop owner, I called TC and told them I would take a Classic in 30-06. This was the gunshops choice. They will take that gun and sell it, in the meantime they are giving me store credit for the entire investment I had in the Benchmark. With that credit I bought a used 10/22 for the receiver, ordered a Lilja barrel, Timney trigger, Volquartzen cantilever scope rail mount and mag release, a Revolution Yukon stock. The scope from the Benchmark will land on the build. It is a Burris 4X12 AO Timberline. Yes, it will cost a few dollars more but I think it is money well spent. So in a few weeks I will be a happy camper.
    All I can add is if you are considering a TC especially a rimfire, go to Rimfirecentral.com and read the thread with the header: Does anyone have a gun at Thompson Center. Apparently I was not the only one in the same predicament. Just a word to the wise.