Thompson-Center TCR 83?

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by wng-2, Jul 22, 2011.

1. wng-2

wng-2 Member

I bought this rifle many years ago from The TC Custom shop in Rochester, NH. I’d like to know is in fact a TCR 83, and if so will TCR 87 barrels fit on it?I’d also like to know what it is worth. Thanks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Now, that is a pretty one!

Yes, 83 and 87 barrels are interchangeable.
    One exception that I know of...The later (1992-up) TCR87 magnum barrels like 7mmMag, 300WinMag, 338WinMag, etc are slightly different and will not drop onto an earlier receiver unless it has been modified to accept the magnum barrels.
    Your receiver is stamped -MAG- , so it should be setup for the magnum barrels.
    The only difference between the 83 and 87 is the trigger system used. 83 used a double-set while the 87 ditched that for a single trigger.

As for a value...
    Without having a Blue Book handy, I would guess that it would probably be worth $500-$1000. All depends if you find someone that wants it.
    A few years back when the TCRs were still kinda common in my area they were priced dirt cheap since most guys wanting a single-shot preferred the Ruger #1 or the new Browning 1885s.
    I didn't mind the TCRs at all...I thought both series had very good triggers on em.
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  3. drdaldds

drdaldds New Member

The TCR 87 came with both the set double trigger and the single hunting trigger set up. I know as I have both. :bow:

They are increasing in value also.

The scope mounting plates are getting to be quite scarce though, and I need some badly.

I would also like to find a .243...a .222 Remington or .221 Remington Fireball...and a .308 Winchester barrel...the last one to make a .358 Winchester out of it.

I really wish they made .358 Winchester and .44 magnum barrels.

I have .22 Hornet, .30-06 Springfield, .280 Remington, and 7mm Remington Magnum barrels.