thoughts on a 357

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Appliancedude, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

I have the .357 in both 4" and 6" and like both in both single action and double. Mine are Rugers which I think are very well made. And when I want to notice recoil I grab my .454 with full house loads. Now there's some recoil you might notice.
  2. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I also shoot 357 in blackhawk, Vaquero, and in a GP100 and like all 3.

I have never shot a .454 but will have one in Freedom Arms one day. What a tank of a round. Brisk, whats the make of your bad .454?
  3. thunderchild223

thunderchild223 New Member

just get a S&W 686 and enjoy it.
  4. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I have one of those too and it is also a great choice. Easy to conceal, points nice, great trigger pull.
  5. langenc

langenc Member

For two legged or four legged monsters get a 4 or 6" Smith. The 66 (k frame) is ok for shooting an occasional lion, deer skunk etc.

Longer range as mentioned go for the 6". Six will work for all around. Might be a bit more difficult to draw but when you do--wow. Good holster helps with carry.
  6. ms6852

ms6852 Member

I agree with Alpo I have both the Colt Python and the Smith 686 with 6" barrels. The are both a joy to shoot. My wife has a 642 airweight much against my wishes, and as most wives did not listen. She liked the fact that it does not weigh. Problem is she no longer will shoot it ever again unless her life depends on it. Sucker kicks to much and hurt her hand, heck I do not like shooting it myself. Which is bad thinking because you need to shoot your gun to remain proficient.

As alpo stated, if you are going to get the smaller gun in 357 do not get the models that have the lightweight frames. Get something heavy. But since your reason for getting one are mainly for home defense and side carry on hunting trips I would recommend at least a revolver with a minimum of 3" or 4". This revolvers in my opinion are more accurate with these barrels instead of a snubby. BTW plan not hear for at least a week if you ever have to discharge you revolver inside your home.

These are my babies:

[​IMG]
  7. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

Here's the Smith Model 66, 3-5-7 MAG and as accutrate as heck.

Attached Files:

8. Appliancedude

Appliancedude Well-Known Member

Ok I'm convinced. I'm gonna go back and look at the 686 and the Gp100. I don't see on SW sight that the model 66 is still sold new. Not really concerned on the recoil. Most of the time I'll be shooting 38s just due to ammo cost, and the fact that that was all my dad shot so I have about 2000 38 shells and maybe a couple 100 357 shells.

The reason I was looking at the small frames was because of how heavy my dads was when I was hiking. But honestly it could have been the old style leather heavy service holster too. Looks very similar to this one. But it also had a extra leather piece that fit inside your pants to make it more steady. Easily another lb in weight.
    [​IMG]
  9. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Nope, it's not sold any more. They discontinued the K-frame 357s a few years ago. Guess they figgered the L-frame made the K unnecessary.
  10. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Both the GP100 and the 686 will weigh about the same as that old 57 that your dad had.
    The 686 is the same L-frame as the 57. And the GP100 is also what you would call "medium-large" frame similar to the L-frame Smiths so it'll weigh about the same too.

Good leather that fits your body and activity is important and will help a lot.
    Try out several different styles to see if there is something off the shelf that fits your taste.

A medium-frame 4" in a good fitting belt holster really isn't that noticable. About the same as carrying a 1911 size auto in good leather, it's heavy enough that you know it's there but not a nusiance.
    Now an old-style low-ride duty rig like you posted...yeah, that would annoy me for trail carry to.
    If it was a high-ride, you'd probably like it better since the weight is more centered on your hip instead of slinging alongside your leg.

I tend to prefer a pancake style or tabbed belt slide type holster for general farm/hunting carry but I do have some standard high-ride holsters too.
    For assorted handguns, I've got Bianchi #7 & #5BH holsters and similar patterns from other makers. My favorite revolver holster is a discontinued Gould&Goodrich model that is almost identical to the Bianchi 5BH except with a different angle.

It kinda surprised me too but I don't see any .357 K-frames on the S&W website either. Just .38Spcl or the rimfires in K-frame.
    I suppose low sales killed off one of the best all-around trail guns you can get...
    That 4" that Zane71464 posted sure is purty! I wouldn't mind one like that myself...
  11. jstgsn

jstgsn Well-Known Member

ms 6852 I love the pyton!! Years ago I had a chance to buy one and didn't. Regretted it ever since.

Now let me throw in something else to think about. For very little money you can buy a Lee Load all for .357. It is much eaiser that one thinks. Years ago when my three sons and I were constantly at the gun range or in the field, I dove in to reloading and was shocked at how easy it was. I bought a kiddie work bench from lowes or some place, mounted the loader, bought a couple accessories and the children and I would take turns loading. We played around with it long enough to find the bullet, powder, primer and so forth we liked, then bought in bulk. Here's a quick reload.
    Take the empty cartridges, stick them in the Lee Load All, punch out the old primmers. Take the primmer device, pop in new primmers. Put the cartridge in the loader, pour in the powder, place the bullet in the cartridge, crimp. Of course there is a little more to it, but it's fun, and saves money. You can find the load you like and you're gold. Hot .357s or light .38s.
  12. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I'm a S&W 686 fan as well as a Rugerman
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012
  13. Rugermanws

Rugermanws Member

I like your style. I too have a 6" Colt Python and 2 SW 686s
    I have trouble taking a pic of the Python showing the Royal blue and vented rib.
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    My thoughts on the .357 sunbie is that both the Smith, and the Ruger, are both well built guns. I like the guns with hammers better than those without hammers, simply because they can be fried in single action mode. The .357 is a good round for SD, but can have a problem with over penetration. This also makes the .357 a good hand gun for deer hunting. The down side to this gun as a SD weapon, especially in the home, is the noise, and the muzzle flash! Both can be very bad for the defender, as they will leave you with out the ability to hear, or see, for a few seconds. And that is not conducive to second shot accuracy!
  15. Old John

Old John New Member

Yeah, I agree. I have 2 Ruger SP101's, in .357 magnum. I carried one every day for 8+ years. Then I bought a Ruger LCR in .357 mag. I've been carrying that for the last year. It is lighter, but it sure has more recoil.
    However, I will never get rid of my SP101's They are great little guns and they handle the Recoil very well. They'd be a great revolver to get you started.:)
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2012