Thoughts on a .40 cal

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Insulation Tim, Jun 20, 2012.

1. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I'm getting that itch again to add to the collection. I realized that I have a handgun, revolve or auto in about every caliber save for the 40.

Went shopping yesterday and liked the feel of some Rugers but the sales guy (and this IS a good store) was very candid and negative about the 40's. He hates them. Big recoil, hard on the weapon, no advantages over the 9mm. He showed me their used gun section and pointed out that the majority of trade-ins were 40's. People buy them; shoot them; get rid of them.

What do you guys think of all of this?

Thanks,
  2. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

Re: Thoughts on a 40mm

I will shoot anything......but....
    this may be biased somewhat 'cause I'm a revolver guy mainly.
    I prefer revolvers for the dependability, although the best argument is
    a semi-auto has more rounds and reloads faster......
    all that being said......I am only really concerned with my first two shots
    placed properly....or even the first.
    Caliber wise though, my absolute last choice in a semi-auto is a .40
    and only because statistics show they repeatedly malfunction more
    than any other. Why????? Don't know. A plan doesn't always come together.
    There are so many tried-and-true rounds available, and being finnicky,
    I prefer to stick with ones I trust and have a great track record in multiple mfg's
    arms and designs, like a 9mm or .45acp so to say.....[semi-autos]
  3. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

The 40mm might kick a bit too much. Last one I saw was mounted on a ship.:D Now, the .40 cal is a bit different.

I once owned a Springfield Armory XD 40. To be honest I couldn't hit squat with it. I traded in on a 1911. The .45 acp is my favorite caliber for both accuracy AND effectiveness. I recently bought my first 9mm and I gotta tell you I'm impressed. I don't think a person is undergunned one bit with a 9mm either.

Of course the .40 cal is extremely popular these days, largely due to so many law enbforcemet agencies, like the FBI switching to them. The only advantage I can see in the .40 is a bit longer range than the .45.

The bottom line for me is it would seem the .40 wss designed to fill a gap that wasn't there. Actually it was the result of FBI complaints about the recoil of the 10mm effecting the speed of follow up shots. If iI felt I needed a more potent round than the 9mm, .357 mag, or .45, the 10 would be my choice.
  4. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

deleted - redundant
  5. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

"I" knew what Tim meant......come on, be nice......;)
  6. ozo

ozo Well-Known Member

I see nothing wrong with a 9mm,
    in fact, my favorite semi-auto is my S&W 5906
    [makes my Kimber look like a fool]
  7. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

thought the OP was talking about a grenade launcher
  8. Alpo

Alpo Well-Known Member

Yeah, I wasn't thinking Bofors, I was thinking bloop-gun, with the shoulder stock removed.

Might be fun, but would probably get expensive to shoot, since each round would have that pesky 200 dollar tax on it.
  9. yetiman

yetiman New Member

I got to shoot a neighbors Sig on Saturday. I couldn't tell much about it as I only shot 8 rounds but I was able to hit the metal squares I was shooting at. If I didn't own one and wanted one......why not?
  10. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

From my experience, lots of stuff makes Kimber pistols look like a fool. It doesn't shock me that a S&W does. Their rifles sure are great though. But, some companies should just stay with what they are good at. Volvo makes good cars, but their construction equipment seems to suck. Kimber should just stick with rifles.

.40 is supposed to be the best of both worlds. The heavier hit reminiscent of the .45 and the higher capacity mags of the 9mm. I like the .40 round much better than the .45 actually. Cheaper to shoot, more shots, and just as accurate and many people say it is more accurate.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  11. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

I loved my M203-especially when using H.E.D.P. rounds...now as for a .40- I would go CZ. Built like a tank and should last for generations.
  12. pkcgbifaid

pkcgbifaid Member

I had a Sig 229 in .40 that I wish I never got rid of. It managed the 40's recoil better than most 40 cal guns I have fired.

That being said, when I am looking at semi-autos I am usually looking exclusively at 9mm or 45 ACP. Can't really say there is even a concious decision behind it... those just seem to be what I am drawn to.
  13. zachp

zachp New Member

I really enjoy my Springfield XD subcompact. It really gives the best of 3 worlds, it has a harder hit than the 9mm, i can carry the 11 round mag that makes it a full size gun, and it comes with a 9 round that makes a compact. I dont really notice it kicking so that doesnt bother me. The only trouble i have had with it is when i hadnt cleaned in a while other than that it never malfunctions.
  14. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

The history goes something like this:

The FBI was involved in a shootout with two heavily armed guys in Florida (??), and lost badly even though the two shooters were eventually killed. Their firearms of choice (38Special??) were highly inadequate and it cost them a couple of their agents lives. They requested a more effective round and started with the 10mm. The 10 was designed by the father of tactical shooting, but in full form is a 1911 sized gun with a very heavy recoil (It twists in the hand too). So the FBI requested downloaded ammo for their new 10's. That solved the recoil problem but then the small statured men and women found the gun too heavy and big for their small hands. The next step was to make a 10mm Short (called the S&W 40 and at the same level as the down loaded 10mm ammo) and fit it to a 9mm framed gun. So today you have the S&W 40 ammo and gun. It recoils about the same as a 45ACP in a gun as heavy as a 1911. But the mistake many make is buying a 25 or less ounce gun instead of a 40 ounce gun. That makes the recoil excessive.

I have a 10mm Colt Delta Elite. I shoot my reloads loaded down to 40S&W specs. I also have a CZ75B in 40S&W loaded to normal specs. Both guns are about the same weight and recoil about the same with these loads. I have owned and shot a High Power, a SIG P225, and a Taurus PT99 (Beretta 92 clone), all in 9mm. I also have a couple of 45ACP full sized and weight guns that I shoot regularly. I much prefer the big push of the 45ACP, the 10mm, and the 40S&W to the sharp recoil of the 9mm. I don't carry any of these guns and all mine are not lightweight guns. The new plastic light guns would be a handful in any of these calibers.

So if you are recoil sensitive you can buy the 40S&W gun. Just don't buy a lightweight model. 45ACP, 10mm, and 40S&W guns should be full sized and weight if you are that recoil sensitive person. I do not see the 9mm as an option for that person either as its recoil is sharp and for me no fun to shoot. To me a big steady push is better than a sharp lighter fast push (9mm). But we all get to choose.

LDBennett
  15. Grizz

Grizz Active Member

I love my Glock .40 cal! From my experience the recoil is not excessive with the poly frame Glocks. They have really good accuracy too. Glock even makes a 23rd .40 cal magazine if you want high capacity.
  16. chuckusaret

chuckusaret New Member

I had the pleasure of testing the XM203 in Vietnam before they were issued. As far as what handgun; Springfield XD40 SC would be my recommendation.:D
  17. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

I am not a Glock fan! In fact, I don't like any of the plastic guns. The Glocks have a reputation of an unsupported chamber requiring special reloading dies to fix the bulged fired cases. I have heard here that they are not all that sturdy in their duty as a COP gun. Then there is the story of my friend who bought one.

My friend is an excellent shot having won many 22 and air gun silhouette competitions locally, both rifle and handgun. He took a defense course with a revolver (the only one there) and never lost a scoring point from a missed target. He is Mr Natural shooter. After the course he bought a Glock in 9mm. In sighting it in, the only way he could get it right was with the sights hanging over the edge of the slide. Now this guy knows guns. He sold it before I could look at it (we live a long way from each other) but there was definitely something wrong with the gun.

The light weight of a Glock can do nothing to help reduce the effects of recoil of the 40S&W which is what this post is all about. I seriously doubt it will do much to help reduce the recoil of the 9mm either. The situation is that we all have different levels of recoil that we can absorb without complaint. My level is pretty high and, of the guns I have shot, only full power 44Mag puts me off, because they hurt me. For my 44Mag revolver I use 44 Special load levels and that is SWEET!!!

LDBennett
  18. Black Cat

Black Cat New Member

I have owned a Ruger SR 9c for two years now. I have owned a Ruger SR 40c for a year. I am 75 and eyes are not too good but was able to sigt both in at 15 yds with amazing groups. I have now fired over 500 rounds thru the 9mm and 300 round thru the 40S&W. Most of them being my reloads. I have never had a jam. I do nothing but target shoot and only clean my guns every third time at the range. I had my Rugers ordered from a gun store that sells mostly Glock. He has told me he has never had a complaint on any Ruger he has sold. Recoil is something that I do not notice using the 17 round & 15 round clips. The reason people trade in most 40 S&W is the cost of ammunition. Us old shooters have to give in. Ruger is building some very good guns at a reasonable price
  19. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Bad guys had a full auto Mini 14 and it was in the mid 80's.
  20. ryan42

ryan42 New Member

I love my Glock 21 45acp.