Thoughts on a Remington 788 in .222

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by a/c guy, Jan 17, 2009.

1. a/c guy

a/c guy New Member

I saw a used 788 .222 with a Weaver scope in good shape. I'm looking for a fun, long shooting(2-300)yrds, maybe hunt deer with, small caliber gun.
    Asking price is $299.00
  2. guntech59

guntech59 New Member

Sounds like a good price depending on what kind of shape it's in.

Using it for deer is something that I would not do.
  3. 300 H&H

300 H&H Active Member

Sounds like a very fair deal. These 788's are like the weaver scope that sits one it. We did not know or apreciate how good they were when they were around, being produced. Not expencive mind you, just good quality, and a lot of bang for the buck. And they still are! Some folks think the 222 is a getting hard to find. Very inherently accurate round, in a notedly accurate rifle. Enjoy! Just don't use it on deer. Best reguards Kirk
  4. a/c guy

a/c guy New Member

Thanks for the info guys. I will leave the deer shooting to the sako .300 short mag. Was thinking about one of my kids shootin a doe with the .222 and target shootin long range. What about being able to get ammo?
  5. muddober

muddober Active Member

Ammo for a 222 should be easy to come by in any well stocked sporting good store.
  6. merrill

merrill New Member

I used to own a 788 in .22-250. Strong action, crappy trigger, bolt handle came off, using factory ammunition, the bolt was sticky and difficult to operate. Imo, it is not worth 299 dollars.
  7. leadchucker62

leadchucker62 New Member

good day all:
    i have a m788 in .222rem,it was a good shooter as it came from the factory,but,i freefloated the barrel added a timney trigger and a bushnell 3-9 trophy scope and its a real tackdriver now.
    i load 19.6 gr h4198 with a fed primer behind a 50gr spsx,or a 50gr v-max.
    if i could find another in .222 or .243 id grab it up in a heartbeat.
    very good shooter!

Z
  8. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

Welcome to TFF leadchucker!

Kind of an old thread, but if it's in decent shape, $300 for a 788 of any caliber is a steal.

Going rate for em in my area is anywhere from $400-550 on the racks...and these have been some pretty well-worn examples but people still pay it.
    Around here they're pretty highly prized as a good action to build a prairie dog or benchrest rifle around. That's why they're spendy in my area.

The trigger is the same basic design as the 700s from the 70's era...built a bit cheaper without all of the adjustments but you can tune em up nearly as good as a 700 trigger. Or replace it.

The nine-lug 60° action is a good design.
    I have heard of and seen a few of the later ones with the swept-back handle that the handle broke loose of the bolt body (like merril mentioned). I've personally never seen that happen on an earlier straight-handle 788 but it's possible.
    Some of the actions are kinda rough too...these usually have only some of the lugs seating in the receiver. This can be fixed by lapping the bolt lugs to match the receiver so all 9 will seat. But sometimes this removes enough metal so you have excessive headspacing (this can happen with any rifle though).

Otherwise the only time I've seen one fail is from gross negligence...mainly poor reloads. I have one action sitting in my shop that the guy sheared off 4 of the bolt lugs from a way too hot reload.
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
  9. zb338

zb338 New Member

My kids and I have had several 788 Remingtons. I sold one
    in .222 to buy one in .308. Both of them are extremely accurate
    guns For cheaper grade rifles they can't be beat in any caliber.
    It's a shame that Remington cheapened them up by cutting the
    barrels down because they were competing too heavily with the
    700s. Then when nobody bought the sawed off versions, Remington
    discontinued them entirely.
    Zeke
  10. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    ok to shoot targets,although expensive if not reloaded,on deer.......not.......to me any 22 cal is not a humane round for deer.now b-4 i have some members give me their rebuttals yes some states allow 22 cal bullets but unless you are an excellant shot dont use it old semperfi
  11. sparky357

sparky357 New Member

All of the 788's I have ever owned, many including 7mm-08, 30-30 and 44 mag along with the standard calibers have been extreamly sharp shooters. Even with the less than average trigger. I still own every caliber ever made and have had one customized. I do beleive til this day they still have one of the fastest bolt lock times. People are just amazed how accurate they are.
  12. Zane71464

Zane71464 Well-Known Member

The 788's is one of the best that Remington came out with, with the 9 lug bolt. Noted as a "plain" rifle but extremly accurate, Remington was losing money producing the 788's and went to the 700's in BDL and ADL and stepped them up a notch as far as appearance and the price as well. The 788's are extemly acurate.
  13. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

It has been my experience that guns with the rear locking lugs are not as easy to make shoot as well as the front locking type and accuracy depends on bbl quality more than anything; the cal will also play a large part as some are more accurate that others on the whole. The 222 is normally a very accurate roun with all thngs being equal. I agree that it should not be used on deer. I have found that most folks that use them due to less recoil are exactly the ones that shouldn't because they are the ones that fail to wait for the right shot to present itsself (children and wives new to the sport). Targets, p-dogs and varmints are much better suited to this round. The 788 has one major failing in that the bolt stop is made into the trigger group. if your release/stop breaks, finding one is almost impossible. Every time you work the bolt to a stop at the rear of travel, the small fragile part takes a good whack and tends to break. In all my years working with guns I have found this to be the biggest problem with the 788.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  14. Gene remington lover

Gene remington lover New Member

I own a remington 788 in .222 and I absolutely love it..I agree not a good round for deer just inhumane to me..but very acurate rifle for varmint hunting...I was just wondering what he value is on my rifle its probably in 9 out of 10 condition with extra mag and blueing is pristine
  15. oldfartrr

oldfartrr Member

sounds like a great price to me,,, but tooo small for deer size game,, have 2 788's (6mm rem, and 30-06) love them wouldnt trade for anything, the 6mm put a ramline stock on (after the wood one warped) glass beded it and a real tack driver.
  16. Ledslnger

Ledslnger New Member

My dad has one in 22-250 and it rocks. Would love to get a .222 for that price. I would jump on it. :)
  17. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

That is a more than fair price for even a real beater of a 788 rem. I bought mine in 1976 and has allways been one of the most accurate rifle I have shot. Triggers are not as bad a some say and way better than many today. Use a little grease on the recoil lugs and you will not hurt anything if you don't bang on the bolt let a idiot or load maxed loads with larger cartidges, besides it fixable. Doubtfull today if a rifle at 3 time what you will pay wil shot any better. Even the old birch stock refinish well.
  18. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

I have a rem700 in .222 and while I would not take deer with it..( it certaintly would ).. lotsa people take deer with .223 here in florida. mini 14's are a prime deer gun.... mind you.. our deer are like tall dogs.. ;)