The Firearms Forum banner

thoughts on a Taurus Judge

3K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Big Shrek 
#1 ·
I always liked the Judge,,,now im thinking of buying one..I like the blued finish and I have a choice of 2,3,4" barrels...Figured it would be a nice 2nd home defense ????
I have a S&W 357 686 mag that I like too but the Judge would be more of like a novety :)

Any of you guys have one ?? Is the 45 colt ammo easy to come by ?

#5 ·
so you would opt for the 3" mag over the 2-1/2" ?
Do they make that in a blued finish ?
What barrel length would be best for hd ?
Also this, it says it fires .45 long colt...I dont see ammo that says "long colt" is it just non auto .45 ?
Thank you

I did read the other threads on it and it sounds like mixed reviews

#7 ·
you want to look for 45 colt on the box.
mine is 3 inch barrel 3 inch chamber in blue, they also make stainless.

I like the magnum or 3inch chamber because you can shoot any and all 410 shells. but it limits you on carry on your person because of the extra size.

at 15 yards I was getting a circle of about 2 feet of shot pattern with the golden bear ammo.

#9 ·
I paid $475 for mine in blue, but that was a couple years ago now. If that is stainless it is a real good buy. 45 colt is usually available online if you can't find it locally.

the 2.5 2inch is better if you plan on carrying it some. but you will not be able to shoot 3 inch shells.

#11 ·
personally.. if you like 45colt. get a real 45lc firearm.

if you like a shotgun.. get a tactical HD gun.

while i like my circuit judge carbine.. I do not liek the feel of a regular judge. my mom has one.

it has all the heft and weight of a long bbl 44mag or med bbl 500swmag.. and none of the stopping power... :)

#15 ·
I have the 2 1/2" chamber 3" barrel SS version. This is a wonderful sidearm to carry fishing and hunting. Super for snakes. I have dispatched several with mine and it does a great job (cuts them to pieces). I normally carry two chambers loaded with 410 shot-shells for snakes and three chambers loaded with .45 Colt for Hogs/wild dogs/ coyotes and such. It gives me great comfort..............Don in SC

#17 ·
Not anymore......I used to have a .22WMR Contender barrel that was rechambered to .218bee. I sold it several years ago. It was a fun cartridge, but that particular barrel just never shot well enough to suite me. I have been looking for a good rifle in .218 Bee.......I still have the dies, but I have never found one that I wanted/ or could afford. I have a Cooper in .22 Hornet that shoots great......so hard to justify a .218 Bee..........Don in SC

#18 ·
I have a blued Judge I bought for home defence. I ordered a 6.5" barrel, it makes it a lot more accurate. Mine has the 2.5" chamber. I shoot the ooo buck shot and I reload my own .45 Colt ammo. It's a really fun gun to shoot. I have taken out a lot of tree rats with it and it's great for gophers too.

#19 ·
Taurus Judge 2" or 2.5" barrel -2.5"chamber
Winchester PDX1 Defender ammo
Good to go.
Not even a need for the .45colt ammo.........
but, the .45colt ammo is better in a Judge
with the 2.5" cylinder.

#22 ·
hummm the only concern was the frame is made of aluminum on the Smith I heard ....I think the Taurus is steel ??

Just thinking weather the extra 150.00 for the smith is worth it as I probably wont shoot it that much.....man I hate these decisions...

#23 ·
"The judge would be more of a novelty"

Bingo.

Get a shotgun if you want a shotgun.
Get a pistol if you want a pistol.
I just can't see why people feel this is such a great sd weapon
oohing and ahhhing because it's a shotgun? It's a .410
Point a 12 gauge at a bad guy, he'll think he's looking into the Holland tunnel
Going to shoot .45? You only have 6.
Might as well have an 45acp with 8 or 10 or 15.

I guess if you're walking around your ranch and you come across a snake, it's handy to be able to have your shotgun in a holster.

#26 ·
I looked pretty hard at the Judge when shopping around for a gun for a home defense pistol for my wife, but then decided on shelling out the extra bucks and buying the Governor. Being able to shoot .45 acp also did it for me. I wish Taurus would chamber the Judge for .45 acp also and keep the same price point. If they did, they would sell millions of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.