thoughts on ammo listed below

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Cajun Chooter, Jun 17, 2012.

1. Cajun Chooter

Cajun Chooter New Member

I noticed that Aguila ammo is a bit less expensive than Rem, Win .

anyone have any experience on this ammo ? i want to order 3,000 rounds of 9mm and was considering it..

tia
  2. Twicepop

Twicepop Member

Aguila is still or was a Mexican subsidiary of Remingtom Arms. Everything that I've read about them says they produce top quality products.

those who beat their guns into plowshares, will plow for those who didn't
  3. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Active Member

I've shot 1000's of rounds of Aguila of all types. Watch what you buy. Some are quite exotic and will not work properly in all guns. The super-colibri ultra quiet rounds are primer-fired only and will not cycle automatics. The sniper subsonic with a 60 gr. bullet will not always cycle well in automatics dues to the unusual shape. The hypermax series are awesome, 1700+ fps in a .22lr...watch out though, again due to shape (the casing is slightly longer than standard) they do not always like all automatics. The interceptor is my fav round. Standard size, but 1400+ fps, great for automatic pistols. They make many more, I've had pretty good luck with most. Most of my shooting experience with these is in a Ruger 10/22, a Ruger SR22 and an old tube-fed Marlin. The Marlin having by far the most issues and the 10/22 the least...as you might expect.
  4. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I've shot about 200 rds of 45 hard ball.No problems, good accuracy. I've used a lot of the 22lr also. It's pretty good, but some of it isn't real accurate. JMO
  5. Hammerslagger

Hammerslagger New Member

I can not speak to any Aguila ammo other than rim-fire. It appears that when the "three headed dog" purchased Remington, the "Remington de Mexico" ammo operation became "Industrias Technos S.A. DE C.V." better known as Aguila. They obtained rights to the Eley lacquer priming technology and produced some very good rim-fire ammo for the money.

As their reputation grew so did the price of their products; but more importantly the quality, or quality control, of the Aguila products degraded. I no longer buy many their products, for reasons that will become apparent as you read on.

I will try to post some test target pictures here that were sent to me and forwarded to CCI about a year ago. I am told that they brought a big smile to the CCI peoples' faces since the CMP has been buying and selling commercial foreign made Aguila target ammo, instead of US made ammo.

At the moment, here is a quote from a friend [with a few clarifying comments of mine in brackets] that I do not have permission to identify by name. Let it suffice to say that this man is no lightweight in the world of Bullseye shooting, and ended up with Jerry Bentz's tools and papers after Jerry unfortunately decided to end his life about 12 years ago.

This man writes: "The Aguila brand of standard velocity .22 ammo is sold by the CMP and others, and is priced about the same as CCI Standard, at least in the paper box packaging. [part 0035] I was asked to compare the two, and did so while at the Masters [in 2011] using their 50 meter range. This was a sandbag test using a Bentz High Standard barrel and Ultradot. For reference, I can easily group at well under 1" at this distance using Eley Tenex, and did so. Results are similar with a Ransom rest. The small aperture of the Olympic biathalon target is 1.7" diameter, so at 50 meters tight accuracy is needed.

As shown on the attachment, 10 rounds of the Aguila grouped 2 3/4" while 10 rounds of CCI held 1 3/8". My previous experience with CCI Standard is that it will typically group around 1" at 50 yards and a bit more at 50 meters.

One of the shooters had a High Standard with a Lou Lombardi barrel and was having feeding issues with the Aguila. I went over the gun and magazines and found nothing wrong except a tight chamber and fouling. It would get through about 50 rounds of the Aguila and then stop going all the way into battery but seemed to work fine with European ammo like JAGD or RWS. [JAGD and Wolf .22 RF are made by Lapua in Shul germany.] My remedy was a Bentz reamer and different ammo (preferably both). The Aguila seemed to foul the chamber quickly.

The results might vary in different guns, of course, especially with factory barrels and chambers. But my tentative conclusion is that the CCI product is still the best value for the bullseye shooter.

[Or at least most cost effective for most Bullseye shooters who do not average solid Master or High Master scores. The above findings are consistent with my own in recent years. CCI Standard velocity is a better ammo and better value than Aguila.]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2012