Thoughts on Brownings BAR Longtrack Stalker in .300 win mag?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by glocknut, Mar 12, 2009.

1. glocknut

glocknut New Member

OH CRIPES..... the title of the thread should have read " in .300 win mag"... not some fictional caliber of .330 Good Grief!

The 50 was $3500 so i'm backing off that a bit at the moment.

This is what i am looking at now....

Brownings BAR Longtrack Stalker in .300 win mag. Thoughts on this, anyone?

mike
    gn

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2009
  2. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

Re: Thoughts on Brownings BAR Longtrack Stalker in .330 win mag?

I think that you would be getting a very fine rifle. Can you get a BAR in 325 WSM? That is where I would graviate towards if looking for a magnum caliber rifle. The 300 win mag would be a great choice for a 30 cal venture esp if you reload.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I have long coveted a BAR in .338 Win Mag and would prefer a Longtrack LH. However, they do not offer .338 Calibre in the Longtrack.

I may have to settle for the Longtrack LH oil finish, as I like all my guns with wood, in .300 Win Mag if I can't find a good BAR Safari in .338 Win Mag, which is not in the most recent catalogue.

I think you would have a fine gun, Mike. Of the semi-auto rifles, the BAR, in my opinion, tops the list !!!!!

Attached Files:

4. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I just couldn't wait. I went to the shop and ordered the BAR in .300 Win Mag. The guy at the shop tried his best to sell me on the .300 WSM for quicker follow up shots but i have been in love with the .300 win mags paper statistics for several years now...

Their supplier had one in stock and she'll be here next week. I finally bought a "real" hunting rifle...not that i couldn't have used the LR308 to hunt with...its just that this is a sportsmans rifle and will be a little more respected by fellow hunters i think? Next will be a Leupold or greater scope. I probably should have gone with Marlins choice of stock and finish but i think that synthetic, while not the most attractive will at least be durable? I've never been hunting yet....but i know from my quarrying days that walking thru the woods can be a scratchy proposition to say the least! Everything brushes up against ya... especially those vines with the barbs. I forget what they call them but i hate them!!!

Now i just need to wait for hunting season and find someone who is willing to take me along... :D

mike
    gn
  5. jacksonco

jacksonco New Member

The 300 win mag has more load possibilities than the 300 wsm. It can be loaded hotter than the 300 wsm. You did good on your choice. Put a decent scope on her and you will be ready to go.
  6. ysacres

ysacres Well-Known Member

I have done massive research on all three hunting semi autos for future purchase.

Benelli R1, has 5 calibers to choose from, It 's ugly, and the most expensive @ $1,080, 3 barrel lengths, it has the same gas operated three lugged rotary bolt as their shotguns...Good

Remington 7400, only 4 calibers, 2 barrel lengths, is the least expensive, but the only one that has adjustable open sights. $547....Better

Browning Bar, comes in 10 calibers,4 barrel lengths, lightweight model 6.6 lbs $899....Best

Good choice Glocknut....Enjoy. :D
  7. glocknut

glocknut New Member

Thanks.
    I'm concerned the scope will cost more than the rifle... :rolleyes::D:D;)
    I wonder if this semi auto is accurate enough to justify an extremely expensive scope? Semis never have the same accuracy as a bolt action....

mike
    gn
  8. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

The BAR has a lockup similar to a bolt action rifle, much like the bolt on the BLR. That makes it about as accurate as one could ask for when hunting.

I like the Burris Fullfield II with a semi-milplex reticle and the price is usually right, 200-300 bucks. I need a longer eye relief than many other scopes. This optic has been the best for me. I have tried the mid-range lelupold on my son's rifle and still prefer the Burris.
  9. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I'll go and see if i can find that one. Bass Pro should have it i assume...
    Thanks Marlin!!!

mike
    gn
  10. cycloneman

cycloneman Well-Known Member

the bushnell elete 4200's are nice. they have the rain guard stuff which really helps on those cold mornings when your breath tends to fog up your scope. find what you like and check the price at this place. cheapest i have found.

http://www.foxoptic.com/
  11. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

Congrats on the new rifle, Mike. As always, we want pictures and a range report.
  12. durk

durk New Member

For only $50k:rolleyes: I can put you in a new double-wide trailer on a 1/2 acre, gated lot that butts up against some Corp hunting land on lake Tenkiller...... Only 3 other trailers (all new) in this area. I have been trying to figure out how to buy it myself.:) No luck so far.
  13. 1shot1k

1shot1k Former Guest

Congrats on getting a fine rifle. I hope you get a chance to hunt and do enjoy it.

You are right about the "synthetic" stock taking it ( punishment )..etc.....but should you have to go through thick brambles or brush...you still can get scratches that cant be removed the way you could if you had to on a wood stock by sanding and refinishing.

For the actual hunt...get a camo wrap for protection as well as gloss/shine reduction.
  14. Vladimir

Vladimir New Member

Congrats! When can we expect a range report? Maybe over a nice dinner of the day's catch? :D
  15. glocknut

glocknut New Member

I've gotta find an outdoor range to test it out... and i haven't researched that yet unfortunately.

2 Hurdles. I gotta wait until next season and i gotta find someone who will take me hunting with them. I've never been hunting before...
    I have a couple of relatives that might be willing but i'll have to travel a ways to go with them....

mike
    gn
  16. Mr. Nameless

Mr. Nameless New Member

I have one just like the one in the picture and have had no trouble with it, but i use it for what little competitions i got to that allow the gun(one every year on average)
  17. dtlwheels

dtlwheels New Member

i just got a Safari style BAR .300 win mag and i love it. More accurate than my BAR .308 while shooting offhand. in my opinion, the
    .300 has about the same percieved recoil as the .308 BAR(the long track of the .300 allows more gas to bleed off, resulting in more of a push than the quick snap of the .308) while having better ballistics and not being too overpowering for deer or even antelope with a 150 or 130 grain load.