Thoughts on muzzle brakes?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Albtraum, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Still researching on which first-rifle to get....

I guess Savage has a new Axis model, the Axis SR (Suppressor-Ready)

Same as the base model Axis, just with a 20" barrel instead of 22", and a threaded muzzle, for suppressor or muzzle brake. What would be the benefit of getting this model over the regular one? Living in CA, a suppressor is out of the question, but I think an aggressive muzzle brake would be cool to have. However, I would get the .223 model, and I know this topic has come up before, many people think they are unnecessary on a low recoil round like 223, and can be annoying to other shooters when at the range. I made a thread about the distinct sound of an AR15, and so having a bolt action 223 that has that deep, percussive THUMP of an AR would be fun, and would keep the gun interesting, as I can always try out new muzzle brakes, or just shoot it with it off.

One thing I don't like, is that it's not very pretty, and certainly not traditional. I'm not big into the "tactical" thing, which is a surprise for someone my age. So should I stick with the regular Axis:
    [​IMG]
    Or go with the Axis SR?:
    [​IMG]
  2. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Go with the SR. In kommiefornia you prolly wont ever buy a can but having a brake is nice. The right one will reduce recoil by at least 40%.
  3. USMCSpeedy

USMCSpeedy Member

The Savage Axis is a great entry level rifle no matter what calibre you get it in. I won one this last summer in 308 Win. With the recoil pad that on the Axis, you wouldn't really need a muzzle brake. But, if the price is the same I'd get one just because I like em. One suggestion that I did to mine would be the SAV-1 adjustable trigger from Rifle Basix http://www.riflebasix.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1. Its well worth the 85 bucks and easy to install and adjust yourself.
  4. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Alright, I just saw this SR model today, looks like this is what I'm gonna order. MSRP is $380, only $17 more than the base model. I guess the Axis isn't really a traditional rifle to begin with, a brake will just add to it's modern appearance. Thanks USMCSpeedy, a lot of reviews on the Axis mention the trigger is very heavy, and completely different from Savage's accu-trigger. That Riflebasix trigger looks nice, that'll be a nice upgrade in the future. Thanks! My decision is finally made.
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Alb, look into grabbing a CAV Comp or a VORTEX. If its a .308 you order it will most likely be threaded 5/8X24 TPI so keep that in mind when ordering a cool AR Brake.
  6. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
  7. Albtraum

Albtraum Member

Kinda not sure about which to get again... After more research, I guess a brake on a 223 isn't really efficient except with a semi-auto, and rapid fire, and I read that hearing damage is possible even with proper ear protection due to the added blast redirected towards the shooter... I'd like more input on this...
  8. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Depending on the port design, the muzzle brake is generally rougher on the adjacent person than the shooter. The 360 degree "boss" type are just plain rude to be next to.
    Look for a "cutts" type design with perforations/ports on the top of the brake only; in my (slight) experience this will help the muzzle climb portion of firing. I have a .22 rimfire with this type that actually dips on firing, as expected recoil and noise are not a real factor with this gun.

My .02 only.

BTW, I have been in the lane next to persons shooting brake equipped hunting rifles, a 300 mag with a boss brake on it will rattle your fillings and disrupt your shot. Just saying.....
  9. hardluk1

hardluk1 Member

10. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Heres the Vortex.. Made by Smith Enterprises. It looks cool but its LOUD.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=18711/Product/AR-15-M16-G6-A2-VORTEX-FLASH-HIDER

The Cav Comp is a good brake, actually serves that purpose well, but its also loud.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1464/Product/AR-15-CAV-COMP

The bennie cooley is neat. Couple friends have it and it works very well.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=27074/Product/AR-15-M16-BENNIE-COOLEY-TACTICAL-COMPENSATOR

Similar in design and function to the Miculek AR comp. (one of my favs)
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5573/Product/AR-15-MICULEK-COMP

And of all the ones I have personally shot behind. This is the absolute best in recoil and muzzle flip elimination.
    http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=32315/Product/RECOIL-ELIMINATORS

If you want the rifle to stay still during the shot thats the one you want..
  11. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

The more gas you send in a direction other than forward, the better the brake works. With the exception of a couple of proper, arrogant, prick, know it all, jack ass bench rest shooters, who I just love to shake up; I do not shoot my brake guns around other shooters. Sometimes a shooter comes and sets up right beside me, but that is their own fault. I always set up 20 feet from most people. I use very efficient brakes and try to respect the others around me with the above noted exceptions. If you are going to use a brake; use one that works well. Dont worry about volume.
  12. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

When the guys with 300 mags ect.. and boss brakes start firing for fun (and not sighting in) next to me I figure that it is time to make noise; then I start firing a 10" T/C Contender in .223 at the 100 yd. plates. Better than that I will let the kid at the range with his dad start shooting them, kid has fun and soon the noise dies down.

JLA, look at the AK brakes in the catalog, there are 1 or 2 that (amd?) makes that are close to what I tried to describe.
  13. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

OK, I dont wanna sound like I am just "trying to start something"..........but...........Why would you want a brake on a .223? lol The only use for a brake is to reduce recoil, and they ARE extremely unpleasant from a noise standpoint, so if you are shooting a "non-recoil" cartridge like the .223, DONT. ;) If your concern is primarily to have "something" to do with the threads, get a 'Smith to make you a "cap"-like ring (YES, with a HOLE in it lol) to cover the threads. Just my opinion, mind you, but unless you are shooting a ".396 Belchfire Belted Blockbuster Magnum" a brake is more trouble than its worth. But................that being said................its YOUR axis, do whatever makes ya HAPPY!
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  14. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Brakes on a .223 make alot of sense ITW. From a hunting standpoint they drasically reduce downrange noise which is a huge bonus if youre varmint hunting and the sound of the shot wont scare off other targets as badly. Yes it makes more noise at the bench, but not much more, and if you think the .223 doesnt have recoil (which it doesnt) wait til you shoot one with a good muzzle brake. Its alot like a loud pellet rifle.
  15. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

To those who think a .223 does not have recoil, grab a M-16 and hold down on the trigger.
  16. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

I am missing something. I have a .223 contender and it is comparable to a pellet rifle next to my .300 Rum with a brake. Are they amazed at hitting plates at 100 with a pistol? My feeble mind is failing to compute.
  17. CHW2021

CHW2021 Member

Nope, the kids love that they can hit targets with a pistol, it's the noise and fireball that keeps the whole thing entertaining. A lot of the kids start out scared of this fire breathing pistol, they are the ones that shoot all my ammo.
    A lot of young shooters have never seen such a thing, let alone fired a pistol at all; the contender is unusual for a lot of shooters.

I rather enjoy watching their confidence grow with each shot. The noise (for a pistol) is kinda loud, it does get your attention.
  18. reynolds357

reynolds357 Former Guest

They are definitely fun to shoot.
    The .45-70 in the Contender is one of the few cartridge/gun combinations that is on my list of downright painful things to shoot. The .223 is just pure fun.
  19. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Thats not recoil. its gradual muzzle rise. and with an M16 it is controlable if you strongarm it.

The .223 does have recoil forces. they are just minimal compared to other larger centerfire offerings. But you knew that..
  20. Inthewind1976

Inthewind1976 Member

JLA, I stand corrected! lol The reduction of downrange report when "varmint hunting" makes sense.