Thoughts on muzzle brakes?

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by Albtraum, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Yep thats exactly why they are illegal. Simply because trophy hunters would take extreme advantage and wipe out all the good bucks in a single trek.
  2. projectile

projectile New Member

3. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

That one will do it. The gunsmith insalling it will have to turn your barrel down at the muzzle to appx .495" to thread it 1/2X28TPI, which will create a shoulder for the brake to seat against It looks like the OD of the brake is also gonna be close to the same .820 as your muzzle. definitely close enough the smith can blend the barrel steel to the brake while its still in the lathe after installation and make it look streamline.

Is your barrel stainless or blued steel?
  4. projectile

projectile New Member

its stainless,
    http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire/model-700/model-700-varmint-sf.aspx
    thanks alot for your help just waiting for the rifle to arrive and then find the right person to do the job
    cheers
  5. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

6. Neverhome

Neverhome Member

I have the Boss muzzle brake on my Browning 300 win mag and as was previously mentioned, it is much worse on someone standing beside you than on the shooter. I only use it at the range to sight in. However, with that break and a Syms recoil reduction pad, the felt recoil on that 300 with 180 grain bullets is less than a 30-30. That brake also came with a non perfe'd sleeve to replace it if when shooting at the range to keep the noise down. It simply screws onto the end of the barrel after taking off the brake. I personally don't think they are necessary on
    calibers under a 30-06, but to each his own, and if that's your choice then go for it. No sense in not buying exactly what you want and having buyers remorse later.

Neverhome
  7. Albtraum

Albtraum Well-Known Member

Thanks for everyone's input. After much consideration, I'm sticking to the Axis SR in .223. Just waiting for a certain website to get it in stock. :D I've made a list of muzzle brakes/flash hiders I would like to experiment with, maybe even make video demonstrations with them. However some are on backorder. I like the idea of being able to stay on target with the follow-through after the shot, as well as being able to see the impact. If the .223 has hardly any kick, whats wrong with minimizing it? :p
  8. projectile

projectile New Member

just curious on how much it would roughly cost to have a smith install a muzzle break on a stainless barrel?
    cheers
  9. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

It greatly depends on the smith doing the work. He will charge you machine time and a labor charge for fitting. and niether are universal rates. Every smith is different. Id figure it safe to assume that job would run in the ballpark of 175 bucks give or take.