Thoughts on using a SxS for Trap

Discussion in 'Competition Shooting Forum' started by Jmg198, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

I have recently started shooting trap. I currently use a 12 guage Savage Model 755A. My problem is I also use this gun to hunt deer. I will be siting my scope in sometime in the next few weeks and will not be able to use the Savage for Trap. My grandfather gave me his Springfield 5100 SxS double barrel 12 guage shotgun before he passed away and I am thinking about using this gun for trap instead of the Savage.

Most of the people where I shoot trap are using a O/O (over under double barrels) or a semi-auto and I haven't seen anyone with a SxS double barrel shotgun. Is it okay to use this gun? Are there any down sides to using this gun for Trap? Any advice is appreciated.
  2. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

You will hear lots of advice on this,

Crossing shot patterns,
    Bogus.

Too wide a sight plane.

You should start the gun below the line of flight, anyway, and as a old time trap shooter who helped me immensely, "You point a shotgun, not aim it. If your looking at the the front sight, your doing it wrong."

Side by sides are field guns, and therefore shoot too low.

Lots of cheap ways out there to change comb height, and length of pull. Both will raise your point of impact. One I saw, Brownells,I believe. Was a elastic device that you added pads of various thickness to achieve the desired effect.

Remember, the English have raised the shotgun to it's highest form, and build almost exclusively the side by side.

Enjoy yourself!
  3. muddober

muddober Active Member

I think the advice you gave correctly covered it all.:)
  4. FJF0311

FJF0311 New Member

Thanks Muddober, hope to see you two out there!
  5. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

Thanks for the good advice. I'll let you know how I do.
  6. Doug Bowser

Doug Bowser New Member

I use a Stevens 311. It is an old one and is in Modified-Improved cylinder. I ue the modified barrel and do well on trap targets. You do have to point at the bird, not under it. I really have fun when I load BP shotgun shells in it.

Doug
  7. Jmg198

Jmg198 New Member

Doug, what does BP stand for? I'm not sure what cylinder or cylinders are on my sxs.
  8. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

BP = black powder