The Firearms Forum banner

throwing knives

3K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  snapshot762 
#1 ·
started knife throwing with my buddies this weekend, wow elbow ,shoulder and biceo feeling it now

#2 ·
Played Mumbley Peg for hours on end when I was a kid. The idea was, to throw a knife as close as you could to a buddies foot, had to be a buddy, without hitting his foot. None of us who were foolish enough to play ever got hurt. But it was a blast.

Still enjoy throwing.

#3 ·
Same thing happened here......picking up all the tree limbs and branches from winter, getting ready to mow. :)

Ralph Thorn is one of the best at 'no spin'.......
I believe it is an important skill to learn....yesterday, and especially today.

Knives are important......but according to Ralph.....when you learn
the skill, you can throw anything.
It could be very beneficial.

#4 ·
When I was a kid I used to take push rods out of junk cars and grind one end to a point. Used them as a poor boy's throwing knife. I got real good at it as I would do it for hours.

#6 ·
I saw a set of throwing knives at Acadmey for about $45 and have been thinking about getting them.
I just cut down a 3 ft diameter tree and I could take a nice chunk of the trunk and make a hanging target for knives and hatchets

this thread has got me to thinking....;)

#7 ·
I saw a set of throwing knives at Acadmey for about $45 and have been thinking about getting them.
I just cut down a 3 ft diameter tree and I could take a nice chunk of the trunk and make a hanging target for knives and hatchets

this thread has got me to thinking....;)
That's not a bad thought, db! When I was a kid, I enjoyed throwing circular saw blades - the ripping ones with long teeth. As a Boy Scout I learned to throw a hunting knife in the lazy hours sitting around camp. While Buckskinning as a hobby 20+ years ago I learned to throw a tomahawk pretty good, and in Tae Kwon Do classes more recently, I got fairly proficient at throwing sharp, shiny stars of steel. Throwing things accurately is fun, and a useful skill. And yes, a slab of tree trunk is a wonderful target - go for it!:D

Reactions: dbcooper
#9 ·
Someone convince me that throwing my knife, or knives, at someone is going to stop them from continuing to attempt to shoot me.

#11 ·
Throwing for fun is one thing, but having a practical/tactical purpose is another. I have a wrist rocket with the extra strong power bands on it. You won't believe how hard a single 00 Buck pellet will hit with that thing, and a hit to the head could be a one shot stop! But it has no place in my self defense, or survival arsenal.

#12 ·
a knife always has a place in a self defense / survival plan. a slingshot might also have a place in my survival plan.. at least at the house. doubt i would carry one in a BOB. a knife? sure.. on me and in BOB and at house.

Once you learn to throw a throwing knife. you CAN throw many things even knives not specifically designed to throw.

#13 ·
a knife always has a place in a self defense / survival plan. a slingshot might also have a place in my survival plan.. at least at the house. doubt i would carry one in a BOB. a knife? sure.. on me and in BOB and at house.

Once you learn to throw a throwing knife. you CAN throw many things even knives not specifically designed to throw.
Silent and deadly. In the right hands.

#15 ·
I recently rediscovered the joys of knife throwing, something I haven't done since I was a teenager a few decades ago. I picked up a set of Gil Hibben throwers from BudK for $15, and a set of 3 Cold Steel Sure Balance throwers from Midway (on sale now). Right now I am throwing at loose 2x6's, but have a plan and materials for a really nice target board in the backyard.

#16 ·
Played Mumbley Peg for hours on end when I was a kid. The idea was, to throw a knife as close as you could to a buddies foot, had to be a buddy, without hitting his foot. None of us who were foolish enough to play ever got hurt. But it was a blast.

Still enjoy throwing.
I believe you are describing "Chicken".

For a more "non-dangerous" game, try stretch. You start with your feet close together, and throw to the outside of the other guy's foot. He moves his foot to the knife. Then you throw outside the other foot, and the moves IT to the knife. As the throws continue, his feet keep getting farther and farther apart, until one of you can't stretch any more, and the other wins.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.