Thumbhole Stock

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by gerard488, Oct 29, 2012.

1. gerard488

gerard488 Member

I`m debating buying a thumbhole stock for my savage Mod 10 .223, Problem is, have never used one before and I am wondering if they will work well for hunting (coyote) and if they are as fast to shoot and as comfortable to carry.
    Anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had a Savage .17 HMR a while back with a Mako stock on it, there was a thumb hole in that stock. It also had a friggin hump in the stock that was supposed to (I guess) look like a mako shark fin I did not like that stock at all but I will not tell you that it was the thumb hole that I didn't like, it was that dang hump. I have an L1A1 with one also and I like the stock on that one. I suggest that you go to your local gun store and hold a few of their rifles that have the hole and see what you think of it.
  3. Bindernut

Bindernut Well-Known Member

I've never used a thumbhole stock on a bolt-action, just rimfire autoloaders.

But since you mentioned coyote hunting...
    To me, prime coyote season is cold weather and I'm wearing pretty hefty gloves and an extra layer of clothing or two.
    I don't know if this is a factor in your area but if so, then it's something to keep in mind. Both for the size of the thumbhole and the actual pull length of the stock.
    I've seen lots of guys fight with too long of a stock when they're all bundled up for winter still hunting.
    On my "winter rifle", it has 3/4" shorter pull length than most of my other rifles to factor in the extra coat that I wear when I'm out calling yotes.
    I'm sure the same will apply to the thumbhole too, so remember to take your gloves with ya when you go shopping.
  4. lonewolf204

lonewolf204 Well-Known Member

I've tried em and did not like the thunb hole stock at all! But I kinda set in my ways!