thunder 5??

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by rosierita, Apr 22, 2005.

1. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

thunder 45/410

[​IMG]

anyone know anything about these?? i posted a few wks ago about the snake slayer.... & ya'll have talked me out of 1 of those! :D

i dont see where there is too much info on this gun, but i found out about this last night at my real estate class. :eek: :D the guy that sits in front of me is a retired cop (yay! i found someone to talk to about firearms :p ). he has a buddy that has 1 of these & he uses it for dove hunting. :D

your thoughts? :)
  2. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Anyone who would use it must be a little touched, a masochist and just plain out of his mind!!!!!!!

All the previous comments still apply.
  3. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

I don't know anything about the gun, but I DO know that I would NOT want to shoot that high a caliber with a barrel that short. :eek:
  4. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:eek: LOL! :D well the guy is about 4 times my size! he's HUGE!! :eek: he makes the husky men in my family look small. :eek: :p

he's tall enough & wide enough, that you cannot see me sitting behind him. :p i called my gun guy this morning & he's going to see if he can order them. if he can, i'm going to let the cop guy know. :D
  5. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

What's he do, let the dove perch on the front sight and then pull the trigger? LMAO what crappola! :D :D
  6. offeror

offeror New Member

Well, it's a manly gun...

This has been around for at least 20 years, and it was more popular when revolvers were king. It has GOT to be more useful than a 45/410 derringer (which is still a popular item). And it has got to be more useful than a COP .357, too, speaking of other weird "pocket" guns of the same era.

Personally, I would have a Thunder 5. I like snubbies, am not particularly recoil sensitive, and that sucker would stop a fight. In this age of "Alaskan" snubby magnums, I'd say this gun would not be all that much more difficult to shoot, and certainly not harder to conceal than the bigger frame guns. It's also fairly handsome, in person. As I recall it may be a two-tone job.

It does have a large frame and cylinder though, no getting around that -- of course, that makes the gun a little easier on the hand, no doubt. It's looong for a snubby too with that big cylinder. I recall seeing one in the display case once or twice. Yes, I have wanted to own one of these in the past, and if I were to find one very reasonable at a gun show, I'd consider it.... There probably aren't too many of these in gun stores. Not sure if they can still be ordered new, or not.

By the way, I agree it's not much of a dove hunter, unless you live in a NY hi-rise and are shooting doves off other people's window sills. It's more of a 410-gauge home defense gun, or a varmint handgun for farm or hiking, or... For me, it'd be a low-penetration home defense number loaded with shotshells. I do think I'd have to shoot some Long Colts through it for fun.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2005
  7. rosierita

rosierita Active Member

:) thanks for the infor offeror! i honestly have no idea about the dove hunting thing, since i wasnt there. :D i can only go on what i was told. ;)

i was thinking about the fencing we have coming up & the likelihood of our finding some snakes, specifically rattle snakes.... i like the idea of this gun, i'm not sure i could handle it tho. (of course troy's ready to buy 1 & shoot it. :D )