Tigger jobs

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by Eastwood, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Eastwood

Eastwood New Member

I just got a new 92fs love the gun but would like the trigger a little less pull.
    I was told by a local gunsmith that if he did a trigger job on my beretta that
    after 500 rounds the trigger would break or need some kind of repair.
    anyone had this done to there 92/96 what was the out come? or opinions.

Eastwood
  2. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

eastwood:

There are several ways to reduce the trigger pull of any pistol. The easiest way is to put in springs with lower spring constants that markedly reduce the trigger pull weight. To remove creep and smooth the pull action the trigger parts must be modified. Gunsmiths normally due this kind of work while you can change your own springs, usually.

When a gunsmith smooths the parts and reduces creep by removing a part of the sear, he removes the surface hardening on those parts. Without the hardened surface, the parts are more wear prone and if the gun design does really lend itself to such a modification, more prone to break parts. Whether the Beretta is prone to that I do not know. Another option is to replace the trigger/sear parts with aftermarket parts that have already been modified and then re-hardened. Often times the engagement angles are changed as well. Any of these type trigger jobs slighlty reduces the safety of the gun as it takes less to knock the trigger off the sear as the engagement area and angles usually must be reduced and changed to minimize creep.

Brownells has Wilson Combat Spring kit, Brownells Pro-Spring kits, and a Wolff Reduced Power Trigger Unit for your gun. A call to their tech line would help you select what works best for your gun.

For a self defense gun it is not wise to do a trigger job. If you ever have to use it to defend yourself a lawyer could make a big deal out of the "hair trigger" you had installed so that you could become an assassin. Also such a light trigger might make you fire the gun under stress when you really didn't want to. Changing the springs would probably not be considered making a "hair trigger" and would not force the gun into the target shooting only status, safety wise.

LDBennett
  3. rmrdaddy

rmrdaddy New Member

The man for work on your Beretta is Ernest Langdon. His website is www.langdontactical.com . I have read nothing but rave reviews over on the Berettaforum( www.berettaforum.net ), he apparently does an amazingly smooth trigger on the Beretta 92. Making th DA/SA transition that much easier.
    I have yet to send mine out (I just love shooting that Kimber!), but I think that will be next on the horizon.
    Keep us posted on how you make out. Rob