Tight primers

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 22WRF, Sep 4, 2004.

1. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

I got a couple hundred rounds of Remington Bulk 30 Carbine brass from Midway.

I have been using CCI 400 (Small Rifle Primers) in all Carbine loads and they always slip right in most anything but S&B.

In the Rem brass they are so Tight won't even seat.

Seems me that the primer pocket is just too small.

Hope I don't ahe to go to Remington 7 1/2 primers I have 1000 of the CCI

I'm using the little RCBS bench mount primer tool thats not the problem it seats my other primers all day long. (BTW they don't make it anymore)
  2. mtnboomer

mtnboomer New Member

Oklahoma by birth. America by the grace of God.
    Try running a primer pocket cleaning tool into the primer pockets on the cases to see if it fits tight. If it does, it's probably the cases, if not, it's probably the primers. :confused:
  3. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

You likely have a situation where the primers are on the large side of the dimensional tolerance while the pockets are on the tight side - especially where the brass is NUE. Before I went further, I'd take the calipers to the primer pockets . . . twenty to one odds that any dimensional problem is in the brass. If in spec but at the low limit of the tolerance, you could use a primer pocket swage or cleaning tool to bring them back closer to nominal. I doubt very much a different brand or lot of primers would solve the problem. But it isn't January, so I'm not walking on water here.
  4. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Icon-oclast

That was my thoughts on the problem.

I did send a email to Rem support and see what they have to say.

I don't have a pocket swage for small rifle only pistol.
    Looks like I will have to invest in one.
  5. armedandsafe

armedandsafe Guest

I thought small rifle and small pistol primers had the same dimensions. :confused: Swaging/cutting the primer pocket to the dimensions for one would therefore be correct for the other?

Pops
  6. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Small pistol primer is quite a bit small than small rifle

From Remington site

Rifle primers are offered in 6 1/2 small rifle, 7 1/2 small rifle, and 9 1/2 large rifle and 9 1/2M magnum rifle. Handgun primers are available in 1 1/2 small pistol, 2 1/2 large pistol, 5 1/2 small pistol, and 7 1/2 small rifle.

I wonder what the dif is between the 6 1/2 and 7/12 small rifle?

Maybe my cases take the 6 1/2?
    The CCI I have are equal to the 7 1/2?
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2004
  7. Icon-oclast

Icon-oclast New Member

22WRF, wait one!!!!!

The overall dimensions on all modern primers fall into *ONLY* two categories: small and large. Period. The difference between rifle and pistol primers is the thickness / strength of the cup. Typical pistol firing pins don't fall heavily enough to ignite a rifle primer while those on rifles will typically pierce through the pistol cups. The difference between the numbers on Remington (or other brands) of small rifle primers is chemical composition.

I don't know what brand swager you have, but if you have one for small pistol it should work for small rifle.
  8. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

Go get a uniform primer pocket tool a cut the primer pockets. Should solve the problem. All brass is not EQUAL! :eek: :eek: :eek: :D
  9. mauserman454

mauserman454 New Member

I have had the same problem with Sellier & Bellot brass in 30 Carbine.... I use Winchester Small Rifle primers, and they seat nicely in all my 30 carbine brass (Remington & Federal) but they go in really tight in S&B Brass :mad:

Not sure why you have problems with remington brass too :confused:

MM454
  10. billr

billr New Member

I checked federal and cci I found that Federal is 1000nds. larger all day long.