"Tightening" shotgun action

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by w1spurgeon, Jan 4, 2013.

1. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

I have an older 12ga double barrel that is a little loose at the breech. I understand this can be corrected by tightening the action. How is this done? Do I need a gunsmith or is it something I can attempt myself. The gun is a wallhanger and has little actual value.
  2. WHSmithIV

WHSmithIV Well-Known Member

If it's simply going to hang on the wall why bother working on the action?
  3. 68c15

68c15 Well-Known Member

if I remember correctly our friend Larry Potterfield has a video on his website covering this.

www.midwayusa.com
  4. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Depending on the gun and the degree (and cause) of the looseness, the cost of tightening the gun can run from $50 or so into the hundreds. Unless there is something special about the gun, or it is something like a Parker, the work would probably cost more than the gun is worth. And, as noted above, it doesn't matter for a wall hanger.

Jim
  5. rhmc24

rhmc24 Member

Loose breech, my limited experience was , 1930s, my GFather's 1880s Belgian damascus double 12 ga loose mostly in the latch. Being a resourceful kid with a 'scientific' mind, I carefully dinged the ledge of the latching lug on the bottom of the barrel to upset a bit of material and take up slack. Made it as tight as new. Closing tighter pulled the 'doll's head' deeper into the receiver, good job all around.

The gun, GFather bought used in 1886, in So. Texas, accounted for quite few deer in black powder days. Me, smokeless, fired it hundreds of rounds, jack rabbits, cottontails, ducks, snakes, whatever crawled, ran or flew.

As above suggested, now a wall hanger for my Son-in-law.
  6. Hawg

Hawg Active Member

A lot of times looseness is caused by a worn hinge pin. You can replace it or for just a wall hanger you can probably extrude it enough by tightly locking a pair of vice grips on it.
  7. w1spurgeon

w1spurgeon Member

Why do I want to repair it? There is a huge market in this area for old doubles with hammers. Folks advertise in the paper looking to buy them. The gun would be more salable if it didn't wiggle and there is the potential I might make a few bucks. YEEHAW.