TIME ON YOUR HANDS?

Discussion in 'The Beau Coupe Dien Cai Dau Hootch' started by rooter, Jul 18, 2009.

1. rooter

rooter *VMBB Senior Chief Of Staff*

Marty Robbins old hometown, Glendale Arizona--a su
    This is rather fun. I got 43 out of 50 and for me that's pretty good because I know very little about the eastern and southern states.

http://jimspages.com:80/States.htm

“In God We Still Trust”
  2. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn New Member

Excellent little test. I got 43 as well. My weakness is the NE.
  3. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Well I got 30/50. so any Americans doing worse than that should ashamed of themselves.
  4. rooter

Tranter, when Roger Whittaker sings, "from your land of endless sunshine---"
    what state do you think he is singing about----and what's your favorite state? I've never been to England ---part of England come to Arizona with the London Bridge....Had an old English couple living on a farm near us in Iowa...Henry & Bertha Parkinson..I say old because they were more than 50...us boys used to marvel at their accents, and of course, try to mimic them...Mr. Parkinson said, 'BLOODY HELL' a lot and his wife (Berthie he called her) used to act alarmed at that expression...Ms. Parkinson did wonders with those old 'punkin apples' that grew wild in the cow pastures....her apple pies won acclaim amongst us farm boys when we'd thresh oats at their farm...The word was that Johnny Appleseed planted those old trees...those trees never needed tending and when the cows would get to eating the fallen apples, the milk would taste and smell like the apples....Chief
  5. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Cant say where Mr Whittaker was singing about Cheif, though I like his songs. My experience of the US is not that broad, but I would have to say Arizona. Its also my favourite. I love the north of the state, and even the south a little. I have a good friend in Tucson. I got enormous pleasure in taking my young son around. The Grand Canyon with a little snow, some white water kyacking, and down to Scottsdale Gun Club for some shooting. Next day lunch with friends in Tucson. You know when he first caught sight of the canyon from the car, his jaw dropped and he said 'the ground has gone'.

I fell in love with the state while visiting Gunsite, in the 80s. I knew the Col. a little, and was for a time 'his man in Brazil' and quoted by him on the subject in G&A. I recall doing some night vision tests in the Arizona desert. In all my life I had never seen such night sky's. Almost a religious experience. It may be old hat to you, but the moment I looked up that night will stay with me forever. It really did me good, making the point that I am a tiny part, but of something great and good.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  6. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

I have to admit in the interest of honesty I guess I cheated a little. A good eye for shapes, border and coastline helped with several of the states.
  7. Texman

Texman New Member

Yep, same here,, The south and West were a snap
  8. I have the same kind of trouble with the English counties, Tranter. I can usually find Northumberland, Norfolk, Suffolk, Cumbria, Essex, Kent, and Cornwall, and sometimes London and Surrey, but I always get lost in central England. Didn't England realign all of its counties some years ago? I seem to remember reading something about that.
  9. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Yes Pistol, but only very minor border changes. It may interest some to learn despite the UK being very small compared to the US, our various counties are very different, and many people are very proud of their home county. Accents vary a lot, as does the character of the local people.
  10. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

I can't get this. I keep putting Massachusetts, Delaware, New Jersey, Rhode Island, New York, California, Illinois and Maryland in Europe.
  11. Suwannee Tim

Suwannee Tim New Member

One of my neighbors was Welsh, I couldn't understand a word she said but I was told it was English.
  12. The Welsh make very excellent Bara Brith (a fruit bread), but admittedly, their accent is almost as hard to understand as the Scots. What is so amazing is that they don't even eat haggis! I mean, after all, if you ate the lungs, heart, stomach and liver of sheep, you would probably not be able to speak clearly either! :D ;)
  13. TranterUK

TranterUK Guest

Now that even I understand. Just reminding everyone the UK is not in Europe - 'English Channel'. :)
  14. rooter

I am very surprised that this little geography drill has turned into the discussion that it has.....a learning experience at least for me...Tranter, where is the UK if not in Europe? Another drill for us might be the world if one of us could design a globe type device and spin it for surface identification. I have an old globe here on my desk still listing Russia as the Soviet Union....Recently I had written something about being stationed in Morocco in 1956 when King Ben Yousef returned from exile...I was asked where he had been and I knew Madagascar, but didn't know where that was...Now I do and size wise, that island is almost the size of our Alaska. Keep the visiting going troops...I'm learning even at my age!!!! Chief