Time Question

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by 25yretcoastie, Mar 22, 2012.

1. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

I have read Lyman's twice now and I am starting to put together a shopping list. If I buy a turrent press will that increase the amount of ammo I can reload in a given time and if so by how much? I am planning to reload 30 cal carbine and 45acp.

Thanks Guys
  2. 312shooter

312shooter Active Member

First off congrats on deciding on the best press for a beginner. I consistently reloaded 200 rounds per hour on my T-mag, some say its 300 but I never recommend compromising safety for speed. One thing I suggest right off the bat is a hand priming unit. If I could change one thing on the T-mag it would be that priming system, it just doesn't work. Again congrats on a good strong press that will last.
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
  3. CampingJosh

CampingJosh Well-Known Member

My experience with the T-Mag II is like 312shooter describes. It's a great press except the priming system. I don't hand prime yet; instead, I handle each primer individually, placing it into the priming arm (with a pair of tweezers).

I need to get a hand primer. Going from a primed case to a finished round takes just a couple seconds.

Don't get a single stage. If you want to use your turret as a single stage, you can. And the turrets only cost like $15 more than the single stage (for most brands). It's worth getting the turret.
  4. sting75ray

sting75ray Well-Known Member

I have had my T Mag turret press for over 15 years now and still using it all of the time. I started using the Lee hand primers years ago. For pistol loads I will use it as a turret press but for my rifle loads I do it all single stage still. I have Dad's old Lyman turret press that I learned how to load on years ago. It is stashed away until my daughters need it one of these days.
  5. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

Dillon 550B reloading .45

I do about 100 rounds every 20-25 minutes. So around 200-250 an hour.
  6. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

As others have stated, yes it will increase your rounds per hour. You have the advantage of being able to change turret heads and you can leave your dies in perfect adjustent for a given load indefinetly. You can get two calibers set up on the T-Mag head. You'll probably triple your speed over a single stage.

Congrats on your reading first; you'll get it right the first time and be set for life !
  7. budman46

budman46 New Member

lee's classic cast turret beats any center-post model hands down. more flexible system with removable turrets allowing die changes in seconds, right or left-hand usage and superior used primer handling for less $$$.

i prefer my lee classic cast turret to dillon's for most of my reloading chores for its flexiblity. for runs of 100 or more, i'll use a dillon, but my lee is superior for everything else.

fwiw, i use lee's hand-priming tool...no one does it better!:D
  8. RustyFN

RustyFN Member

Plus the classic turret also has a great priming system unlike what the T-mag sounds like.
  9. myfriendis410

myfriendis410 Member

I'll stick with my Square Deal B. It takes less than ten minutes to change tool heads and yet runs 500 rounds per hour without hurrying. A great powder measure and a great priming setup. The only downside is it uses it's own dies.
  10. 25yretcoastie

25yretcoastie Member

So many choices
  11. bntyhntr6975

bntyhntr6975 Member

My suggestion is to not even think about how many you can make in a short time. Safety first. I use a T-mag 2 and hand prime everything. I really have no idea how long it takes to make however many rounds, but I know the finished rounds are both good and safe. Yes, the turret presses are faster than single stage, and progressive is faster than both combined. Just don't compromise safety to try to get a bunch loaded up fast, unless you want a Darwin award.
  12. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

even when i was selling equipment a big liability factor that was pushed even by the company rep's was safety ..

start beginners on what suits , if a guy wants to buy top line ask about experience etc

if a guy wants to spend $2000 on the best reloading stuff get him to add 150 for a starter kit , to get a feel for reloading before he starts big ..

i sold a lot of Lee start kits over the years i was selling , half the price of RCBS , but great kit

a mate has one and has done 200 - 800rounds a night , every night for years ,( he's a ex ace in comp's here and that his little sideline ) has a oversized outdoor dunny shed thing, just for reloading ... i figure he's put 2 1/12 normal reloaders lifetimes worth through it ...

i dont reload so much these days , a few .223 but even not so much of that , i'm way more BP that cartridge and if i get this .22 BP rifle happening it'll pretty much be BP except for range days and shoots
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  13. Kestral

Kestral Member

Recently purchased T Mag,exc except for priming,luckely still have my old AA so I do all my priming & belling on that one
  14. carver

carver Moderator

DAV, Deep in the Pineywoods of East Texas, just we
    I use the Lee turret press also, and I like it. I've never tried anything else in almost 40 years of reloading. I had an employer that sold reloads, and I got to run his progressive, and that was impressive. I also use the Lee primer tool, and I reload around 100 rds per hour. I go slow, and take my time. Everything has to be done in order. I check, and recheck.
  15. gun-nut

gun-nut Member

I just wore out the priming system on my T-Mag but it still works just got to give it a little push with the finger and the primer drops in. I did however buy a new system at the gun show this past weekend. But it servred very well for thousands of rounds.