Time to Replace my 9mm

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by The_Rifleman, May 25, 2012.

1. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

I traded my Smith & Wesson 659 9mm for my 686 357 and now I need to fill that void with a semi-auto handgun. I have it narrowed down to a few choices under $500. Tell me which one you think is best.

9mm

Glock 17 Standard Pistol PI1750203, 9mm, 4.49 in, Polymer Grip, Black Finish, Fixed Sights, 17 Rd
    I have shot a few Glocks and they seemed to work well, but I'd rather have a single and double action auto.

Ruger KP95PR15 Pistol 13014, 9mm, 3.9 in, Black Synthetic Grip, Stainless Finish, 15 Rd, Pic Rail
    It seems that my price range doesn't lend to longer barrels. I like the rail for an accessory.

Taurus PT-92 Large Frame Pistol 1920159M17, 9mm, 5", Checkered Rubber Grip, Stainless Finish, 17 Rd, Fixed Sights
    I love the looks, (looks like a Beretta,) and barrel length, and price. I like this one the most.

Beretta Px4 Storm Double/Single Action Pistol JXF9F21, 9mm, 4", Polymer Grip, Black Matte Finish, 17 Rd
    My brother had a Beretta, (looked like the Taurus above,) and it was the smoothest 9mm I've ever worked, maybe this one is as smooth?

Sig 2022 Pistol Pistol E20229B, 9mm, 3.9 in, Black Synthetic Grip, Black Finish, Contrast Sights, 15 Rd
    I hear great things about these weapons.

45 Auto

American Tactical 1911 FX Series Pistol ATIGFX45MIL, 45 ACP, 5 in, Mahagony Grip, Blue Finish, 8 Rd
    This is the only 1911 pistol I can afford.

Bersa Thunder 380 Pistol THUN380BLDLX, 380 ACP, 3-1/2", Polymer Grip, Blue Finish, 9 Rd
    I like the price and it looks cool... I wonder how finicky 380 is to reload? I got a 25 auto to shoot pretty darn good.

32 Auto

Bersa Thunder 32 T32N, 32 ACP, 3.5", Checkered Black Polymer Grip, Nickel Finish, 10 Rd
    I like the price of these guns.

Do you have any suggestions other than these?
    *looks some more*
  2. jedwil

jedwil Well-Known Member

I have a S&W 469 and a Beretta 92SBC. I like them both very much because they are SA/DA. I have purchased some newer DAO pistols and I do not like them as much. My most recent purchase is a 1911 that I have not fired but I'm thinking I will prefer it to the DAO's as well. My suggestion to you is to try as many on your list as possible.
  3. coloradorockin

coloradorockin New Member

I must say I got a stoeger couger 8000 9mm and it is one underrated gun. No mis-fires no jams and have about 500 round through it so far. Very accurate and a short enough barrel to be a great carry gun, 15 plus one. It just feels right in my hand and is under 400 bucks. I am very impressed with it and it was origionally made by beretta. Just something else to consider as its a great bang for the buck.
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Ron you forgot to list a CZ 75 in your list of 9s above. most any NIB CZ 75 or 85 can be had for less than 5 franklins. Find a good used one and you have enough left to grab a couple boxes of ammo.
  5. jrprich

jrprich New Member

I would pick the Ruger or the Sig. The Ruger is made in the USA and Ruger stands behind their products.
  6. permafrost

permafrost Active Member

I'm with you on the Taurus 92 Stainless. I've always preferred their frame mounted safety to the Beretta's slide mounted one. As far as a cheap 45, I recently bought one of the Turkish Tisas 45 auto's that CDNN is selling. It is a surprisingly good pistol. Hasn't let me down yet, hammer forged SS barrel and black chrome finish. Pretty well built for the money, $349.95. Pure '70 series internally. That's it in my avatar . That is a 15 yard, 7 shot group , all touching in the center top of the orange. It's been a very accurate, dependable gun right out of the box. I think Centerfire Systems is carrying them also.
    Last edited: May 25, 2012
  7. Brass Tacks

Brass Tacks New Member

only hands on experience with the Ruger P95, bought the wife one for Christmas. I estimate 2,000 rounds fired and not one hiccup! none, zero, zip!! hollow points, it don't matter. trigger pull in double action is a little long but that's the only down side.
  8. 3/2 STA SS

3/2 STA SS Active Member

Get a CZ 75B or a Baby Desert Eagle which is basically the same pistol.
  9. RockinRiley

RockinRiley New Member

does it have to be under 500? I paid 519 for my M&P 9mm range kit, LOVE IT!
    Seems you are a s&w fan! I know I am. Now have a shield also :) Inventory creeps up when you start, LOL
  10. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

Well, I really want a new one... and I would really like it to be less that $400 but that severely limits my options.

I had the Glock there in case someone knew something about it that made it better than the others; whereas, I might not have realized it. But since I'm going to be shooting it at distance, I really should go for the single action option and a longer barrel.

I wish they listed the twist rate; that was the only thing I didn't like about my old 9mm, the twist rate was too slow, so after 40 yards the bullets would veer-off every which way.
  11. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

9mm 40 & 50 Yards
    I could hit at 40 yards every time, but when I got further the bullets would be all over the place.
  12. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

The CZs employ a 9.5 twist
  13. Helix_FR

Helix_FR New Member

You can get a new cz P07 duty in 9mm for under 500. The 75's are just over 5. Though i cant say anything bad about your other choices, im partial to them especially for the price. the m and p's are a great choice for the price too.
  14. The_Rifleman

The_Rifleman New Member

If all the twists are close to that, then it must have been that the bullet was going just above supersonic. Because that twist is more than sufficient.

My 357 looks to be about 1 in 20.
  15. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

The P95 all day..............Donna got her's for less than $350.
  16. gvw3

gvw3 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Stoeger Couger. I rented one to test at the range. It was a good shooter. I almost bought it. I went with the Beretta 92 as it went on sale for $550 that was what was my limit.
  17. RunningOnMT

RunningOnMT New Member

I recently bought a Bersa Thunder Pro UC 13 rd 9mm and love it. It's a great fit in my hand and small enough for concealed carry. It seems very well built and accuracy is great. Mine cost me about $400.00 even.

Item # T9MP13 T9MP13.jpg
    MSRP: $480.00
    Number Available: 14

BRAND: Bersa # OF MAGS: 2
    MODEL: Thunder 9MM Ultra Compact Pro Matte SAFETY: Manual, Firing Pin, Decock, Integral Lock Sys
    TYPE: Semi-Automatic Pistol SIGHTS: Rear: White Outline
    CALIBER: 9MM BARREL LENGTH: 3.5"
    FINISH: Matte Blue OVERALL LENGTH: 6.5"
    ACTION: Double Action WEIGHT: 23 oz
    STOCK: Black Polymer Grips PACKAGING:
    CAPACITY: 13+1 FEATURES: Loaded Chamber Indicator
    CHOKES: FEATURES: Picatinny Rail
  18. mogunner

mogunner Active Member

I bought a Ruger P95 a few months back and replaced my EDC SW40VE with it just because of the SA/DA on it versus the DAO of the Sigma. My shooting buddy has a P95 and had let me run some rounds through it on several occasions and the more I shot it the more I wanted one, so when tax time came around I plunked down the $319 plus tax at my LGS and brought it home, hard case and two mags.

I'm sitting somewhere around 500 rounds through it now, I've shot PMC bronze, Blazer brass, Federal Champions, and Tulammo in FMJ and Remington UMC and Winchester PDX1's in JHP's and not ONE single hiccup at all with it. It does have a long DA pull, but there is a noticeable "staging" to it that once you shoot it a bit you automatically pull it back to that step for your next shot. SA pull is nice and crisp and breaks at the same place each time, this is by far my favorite semi-auto that I've ever fired.
  19. jeffadaklin

jeffadaklin New Member

Mas Ayoob said in his last book that the Ruger is the best handgun available for the price. He usually knows what he's talking about- his police dept. traded in all their P902s for P95s a few years ago. But the cz ain;t bad either.
  20. cpttango30

cpttango30 Guest

Smith m&p is what I would go with.