Time to stop using Google

Discussion in 'The Fire For Effect and Totally Politically Incorr' started by 1952Sniper, May 3, 2005.

1. 1952Sniper

1952Sniper New Member

I got this email today from Rightmarch.com. You might find it interesting.

2. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Well ain't that a crock. :mad:
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Here is Joseph Farah's editorial on this subject from today's WorldNetDaily. It re-enforces the direction being taken.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Google joins media elite

[size=-1]May 4, 2005[/size]
    [font=Palatino,]By Joseph Farah

[size=-1]© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com [/size]

The largest search engine on the Internet has plans to join the media elite – giving preference to such establishment news agencies as CNN and the BBC in searches over new independent media enterprises.

As Google explains it, the rankings will be "according to quality rather than simply the date and relevance to search terms."

The system is revealed by patents filed in the United States and around the world by researchers based at the company's headquarters in Mountain View, Calif.

Currently, the company's search engine responds with thousands of "hits" in response to simple entries such as "Iraq," which lead to news websites. These are ranked either in order of relevance or by date, so that the most recent or most focused appear at the top of the huge list.

"This means that articles carrying more authority, say from CNN or the BBC, can be ousted from the first page of results, simply because they are not as recent or as relevant to the keyword entered in the search line," explains a news account in the New Scientist. "Now, Google, whose name has become synonymous with Internet searching, plans to build a database that will compare the track record and credibility of all news sources around the world, and adjust the ranking of any search results accordingly."

In other words, Google is going to be making value judgments about which news organizations are more credible.

I have to wonder what kind of expertise Google has setting such parameters. But given their example – CNN and BBC – it's clear Google's own prejudice is for the same old biases of the establishment press.

According to the report, the parameters used will include:

• average story length
    • number of stories with bylines
    • number of bureaus cited
    • how long the company has been in business
    • the number of staffers employed by the agency
    • the volume of Internet traffic attracted to the site
    • the number of countries accessing the site

"Google will take all these parameters, weight them according to formulae it is constructing, and distill them down to create a single value," says the report. "This number will then be used to rank the results of any news search."

While WND may do very well in some of these categories – for instance, in Internet traffic and number of countries accessing the site – it cannot, of course, begin to compete with news agencies such as the Associated Press with its 30,000 employees worldwide.

[​IMG]

Yet, this is the beauty of the New Media, where a handful of guerrilla journalists have not only broken big stories ignored or overlooked by the Big Media, but helped expose the biases of those organizations.

This raises some serious questions:

• Is Google trying to win credibility itself with the Big Media?
    • Is Google taking sides with the Old Media against the New Media?
    • Whatever happened to the idea of unfair trade practices?

In the United States, we have a tradition of leveling the playing field and fostering competition in business. It seems now that Google has emerged as something of a dominant search engine it is preparing to help well-established, global news agencies hang on to their dominance – even as they appear most vulnerable to a media revolution sparked on the Internet.

I don't like it.

Maybe it's time those of us who have become reliant on Google to start searching for an alternative search engine. And it's certainly important for news consumers to be aware of the way they are about to be manipulated.

[/font]
  4. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

Before Google became the #1 search engine, I used to use www.mamma.com, which is a metasearch engine (meaning it searches other search engines and directories) . I know nothing about their current policies, but I went to their site just now and did a search for "beretta firearms." Below is a screen capture of part of the first search results screen, which includes both "mamma classifieds" and "Sponsored Links" that are gun-related. This example, of course, doesn't indicate anything about their conservative/liberal stance, but it DOES indicate that, unlike Google, it will accept gun-related ads.

I would have to do more research before I could endorse Mamma as an alternative for Google, but it's food for thought.

Attached Files:

5. GunnFixr

GunnFixr New Member

6. offeror

offeror New Member

There are hundreds of search engines on the web but there are maybe a dozen that are huge, robust, and more comprehensive, including dogpile.com, altavista.com, alltheweb.com, and hotbot.com, to name a few. I have no opinion on the politics of any of these but they are worth checking into. Some of these may put little marketing things on your PC so keep an eye on them and do checks with Ad-Aware or something. Dogpile may be one of the offenders, I'm not sure.

I like to use a search engine as my home page. In the first place, they load instantly, unlike most other kinds of pages, and second, I'm just as likely to be searching for something as I am to be looking at my usual destinations.

By the way, thanks for mamma.com. That one was new to me.
    Last edited: May 14, 2005
  7. GunnFixr

GunnFixr New Member

Dogpile is a major offender. I quit using it because my zone alarm would go off everytime I went to the home page. I run my anti spy program before I shut down each day, and I ussually pick up something that I didn't expect, so Dogpile isn't the only unfriendly neighbor on the internet.
  8. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

That's a bummer because I always respected google for becoming number one from nothing. I remember when they first started out, and everyone laughed at them.

BUT! Theres hope, because I use a totally unbiased, user created, open search engine called Open Directory. Being a Linux user, I love the idea of an open search engine. :cool:

http://dmoz.org/

Give it a chance and I'm sure you'll be pleasantly suprised.
  9. Turdferguson

Turdferguson New Member

Google has no political affiliations or preferences. You most likely have adware, or spyware on your computer. This isn't the 1st time googles has been accused of bias, try googling the word "failure". Also the top search results aren't always chosen by google, there is a process called "googlebombing" that allows a pankster to push unwarranted results to the top.

http://nwc.securitypipeline.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=170704602

Oh yeah, I do know what I'm talking about, I am an A+ and network+ certified technician. :p
  10. Kasatka

Kasatka New Member

www.dmoz.org

The Open Directory Project. Best thing since barrel rifling. :D
  11. LIKTOSHOOT

LIKTOSHOOT Advanced Senior Member

Google has no political affiliations or preferences.

That statement is pure BS!! Why don`t you check and see where they just sent 240 Million to

LTS
  12. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Which means what, exactly? You can pass standardized multiple-guess tests?

Try this: I've been involved in the Internet since 1989. My Whois number is two digits. I've been managing clustered midrange servers for the same amount of time. I'm AIX 5.0 certified and a certified NetAnalyst Architect.

Doesn't mean beans when it comes to knowing whether or not Google has no political affiliations or preferences. Being able to understand the concept of bias and how corporations apply it every day qualifies me to know that Google exhibits all the symptoms of bias. When a corporation allows one type of ad that's biased but won't allow a similar ad that is biased in the other direction kinda shows the bias.
  13. Deputy Dawg

Deputy Dawg Active Member

I bet you have not heard of this one it is called dogpile it is a search engine.
  14. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I used Dogpile for years. It is a good search engine. SoMo put me on to Mamma, though, which is better.
  15. JohnK3

JohnK3 New Member

Dogpile is another metasearch engine, like Mamma.