The Firearms Forum banner

Tis almost fly season, am I ready?

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JLA 
#1 ·
:D Yes onset again dear friends an neighbors fly season is nearly upon us.
Are you ready? In case you don't know, here are the rules.
All you need is a white sheet a paper, any size'll do. A backstop 50 yards away. A stapler or tape. A steady rest, preferably one you can sit down at. A scoped 22 or 17 caliber rimfire rifle, lots a patience and a steady hand.

You post you piece of paper on the back stop.
Go back to the rest get comfortable and watch through your scope for a fly to land on the paper. Settle your crosshairs on it and squeeze the trigger.

If you hit said fly, there'll be a ring of fly slime around the hole, proof positive you've done your job well.

Things to remember, NO cheating, that would be unfair.
Shoot only at wild or feral (those that have escaped from someones house) flies.
No baiting the flies, such as using rotten fish, or an open can of cat food left in the sun, etc. (see cheating)

"NOT BRAGGING HERE!" Last year my best in front of witnesses was 9 for 11

Try it and let me know how you do. the B:D

See less See more
#3 ·
Nice. sound slike a fun game.

I almost moved this thread to the hunting and fishing forum, but then I read it and made sure it stayed put..:D

Good luck everyone..:)

#6 ·
I live in the east central part of Iowa. Looking at the shape of the state, if the big bump on the east side were a nose, I'd live in the nostril. Lots a cows and pigs here bouts, oh and road kill deer carcasses, (all the rich people from Chicago, Des Moines, Marion and St. Louis have leased so much ground in Iowa that the deer population has virtually exploded in the last several years,) hence lots of loose and very available fly. That and I'm retired and have little better to do. Livin La Vida Loka, or words to that effect. the B:D

#10 ·
shoot, down here in texas you cant fart without being attacked by every fly and mosquito in a 5 mile radius.

I shoot bugs all the time. namely bees because sometimes ill shoot hot sodas and the coke dries to the target backers and the bees come in for an easy meal and end up as targets..:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.