titanium care

Discussion in 'Centerfire Pistols & Revolvers' started by shrk08, Nov 29, 2007.

1. shrk08

shrk08 New Member

i have a taurus .357 mag w/ a titanium frame. does titanium deteriorate? if it does what do i do to prevent this?:confused::confused:
  2. TTUshooter

TTUshooter New Member

from what i know, titanium is pretty tough stuff. It is EXTREMELY resistant to corrosion and is a very durable but light metal. I think you won't have to worry too much about the metal itself deteriorating. I would just make sure you keep it clean to keep the internals and such working well. Although most of my experience with titanium comes from my other hobby which is cycling. Titanium bike frames are some of the best out there, but they come with a nice price tag too. In a bicycle frame it is a supple material, it allows for more flex than things like aluminum which equates to a more comfortable ride Its not as rigid as Aluminum, but I digress. Titanium is pretty low maintenence stuff as far as i'm aware.
  3. Mosin_Nagant_Fan

Mosin_Nagant_Fan Active Member

Titanium deteriorate? Probably when they dig your bones out a couple million years from now. :p Though technically better then steel as far as strength, in a firearm you feel the recoil, even with a recoil spring and rubber grips you can feel the recoil.
  4. user

user Active Member

Northern piedmont of Va. and Middle of Nowhere, We
    But what you've got there isn't "titanium" - it's an alloy containing titanium - it's probably mostly aluminum, and may contain other metals, too, all of which are on the alkaline side. So don't use anything acidic to clean them. And, while that alloy has wonderful tensile strength (i.e., can withstand tremendous pressure), it's not particularly "hard" - which is why it's relatively light in weight.

Simichrome or Collinite Metal Wax will be excellent nonabrasive cleaning products, though both will probably blacken the alloy initially, but the black stuff, the result of a chemical reaction with the metal, will rub off with hand polishing leaving a lovely shine. For more protection, I recommend Collinite Insulating Wax. I think you can get all these things mail order (or phone order or internet order) from Bob Daniels at Danase Detailing Products Supply, (www.danase.com). Btw, both Simichrome and Metal Wax will work wonderfully on stainless, nickel, and chrome finishes, but will remove bluing.