TN. and KY. Civil War Battlefields

Discussion in 'General Military Arms & History Forum' started by kencat, Jun 1, 2010.

1. kencat

kencat New Member

This Fall I will be vacationing in this area and would like to visit a few of the states battlefields. In your opinion, which ones are the most impressive and best maintained. Ken
  2. deadin

deadin Well-Known Member

3. aqbill

aqbill New Member

Dear Kenkat,
    I've been to all the TN battlefields and are most impressed by Chicamauga/Lookout Mountain - where you get two important battles close together and Shiloh is great, too. Lots to do and see in downtown Chattanooga (eat at Tony's Trattoria or the Acropolis). Shiloh is pretty much in the middle of nowhere but you're not that far from Memphis, Nashville or the Shoals (in northwest Alabama). I've heard great things about the battles of Corinth (MS) which is just an hour south of Shiloh. In KY, I've been told that Perryville is good. Hope this helps!:)
  4. Big ugly

Big ugly New Member

Wasnt much of a battlefield but you cant go wrong with The Pennicle over in Cumberland gap. The view is astounding for such a small area and the park its self has been redone to commerate the Cumberland Trail. Keep that one in mind also.
  5. red14

red14 Active Member

Lots of places have re-enacments of their respective battles. In Florida, Olustee has one. They do it in February for 3 days. They camp out, men and women and livestock. All old materials used. You can see how life was, before the battle too. They have the battle on Sunday, very smokey, and loud.
  6. ampaterry

ampaterry *TFF Admin Staff Chaplain* Staff Member Supporting Member

Personally, I like Fort Donelson. The cannon guarding the river access are awesome!
  7. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Shiloh.

Absolutely NOT to be missed.

When I was a younger man I spend a few Boy Scout camps there...and a trip just after I joined the Navy...
    wrecked my motorcycle at Shiloh in 1987 at the 125th Battle Anniversary...still have the patch ;)

I could probably still walk those grounds and be able to find my way.

And in the Springtime...with the flowers blossoming...Shiloh is a true thing of beauty.
  8. JBozeman

JBozeman New Member

Thanks for the Link, I have so many family that took part in Battles at Gettysburg, Vicksburg, Spotsylvania, and on and on. Special stuff to me so thanks for the link.

Boze
  9. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

Near Dover, Tennessee, you will find Fort Donelson National Park. This is the first battlefield that I ever visited. My parents took me there when I was probably 10 years old. At the time I visited, it was well kept and it is where I first shot a black powder rifle. I guess at that time is was OK to demonstrate the use of civil war arms, of course that was a different era (about 45 years ago).
  10. michael t

michael t New Member

Perryville is about 10 miles from my house it is well maintained .
    Lexington Ky Has the John Hunt Morgan house and Mary Todd Lincoln home . They are close to each other in downtown Lexington
    Ky has lots of History but Perryville was the largest battle fought in Ky Most of the fighting was cavalry raids by Morgan against the Federal troops. at least in central Ky.