TN Senate overrides Gov veto . . .

Discussion in 'The Constitutional & RKBA Forum' started by mrkirker, Jun 4, 2009.

1. kerk

kerk New Member

I have no problem with that. Actually, I would have no problem with 'CUI's', carrying under the influence.

Guns and booze don't mix..........I'm adamant on that.
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

What about the patrons that help themselves to the non-drinking permit holder's gun? In any crowd, it may be a little more difficult to secure one's own weapon. There are so many scenarios and different personalities to contend with in making these rules, not everyone is going to be happy. Personally, I don't think too many things mix with alcohol in a safe way. Alcohol consumption has its time and place.
  3. ponycar17

ponycar17 Active Member

Pinecone, when carried concealed I doubt there's going to be anyone who even knows you're carrying a gun. We'll just have to wait and see how this legislation runs its course. I doubt we'll hear anything else of this law after it's implemented.
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  4. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

I wish NC would pass something similar. We can carry into a restaraunt, as long as alcohol is not served for consumption on premesis. So any place where people buy and then can immediately drink booze are off limits while carrying open or concealed. As such, I just avoid places that sell alcohol for on premesis drinking. NC also has a law that makes it illegal for a CHP holder to carry if they have had ANY alcohol. Any at all. If a CHP holder here takes one sip, they are no longer able to carry until the alcohol is out of their system. This law I do agree with. Booze and guns do NOT mix.

I agree with ponycar17 100%. Why should I, as a total non-drinker, not be allowed to be armed if I decide to go to Pizza Hut or Applebee's or Hooters? I go to restaraunts for food, not booze. If someone is not going to drink, then why should they not be allowed to carry into a restaraunt where beer is served. I would have no problem with it as long CHP holders don't drink while carrying. I'm very curious to see how this new TN law plays out.
  5. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

"Pinecone, when carried concealed I doubt there's going to be anyone who even knows you're carrying a gun. We'll just have to wait and see how this legislation runs its course. I doubt we'll hear anything else of this law after it's implemented."

You must not live in small town America. In my neck of the woods, people know a lot about everybody.

I don't disagree with the issue here, but no matter what the rule, there's always some dumbarse that ruins it for everyone. Isn't that the case sometimes?
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  6. Terry_P

Terry_P New Member

First off I don't have a problem with someone carrying anywhere any time. Obviously it needs to be legal so post offices, other federal buildings and in NH, courthouses and just recently the Statehouse are all off limits.

I can understand why someone carrying would go to a restaurant and choose not to drink as I do it all the time. I don't go to bars as I don't drink at all but if you are going to a bar then if I have the TN law correct you can't drink if you are carrying. Given that if I drank and was going to a bar I'd leave the gun at home. The first time someone has a drink or two and shoots someone the media will have a field day.
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Concealed is concealed and it is still illegal to drink while carrying.

Your right Pinecone, it sucks having to disarm before going into Safeway.
  8. pinecone70

pinecone70 New Member

I wouldn't want to go into Safeway unarmed.
  9. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

A bar is just a sign on the building. A place that sells alcohol might not look like a bar, but if there license says it is, it is. It doesn't matter if the store doesn't allow you drink on the premises or not.

Take a look at all the different types of licenses there are, and pack accordingly to each place that has ANY alcohol at all.
  10. bcj1755

bcj1755 New Member

The liquor laws must be different in NC, because I was told in my CHP class that I am perfectly legal carrying concealed in a store that sells alcohol as long as they do not allow consumption on premesis. The instructor specifically mentioned concealed carry is allowed in stores or places of business that sell. In fact, I asked him about that during class and was told the distinction is does the business have a place set aside where consuming alcohol is allowed.
  11. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

Ya copy that.

We must have some loose workings going on over here or an entirely different system over here, which for some reason wouldn’t surprise me in the least.

Different types of licenses = different laws.
    Bar or license to serve means = felony
    Place that sells, or license to sell = no problem

State giving licenses out like candy, or maybe to the highest bidder? I don’t know.

One thing for sure is that New Mexico needs to become one of those ‘green’ states as seen in the map (page1) because this really sucks.