To all of the Old Pharts

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gunfyter, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Gunfyter

Gunfyter New Member

Life in Black and White

(Under age 40? You probably won't understand.)

Black and White

You could hardly see for all the snow, Spread the rabbit ears as far as they go. Pull a chair up to the TV set, "Good Night, David. Good Night, Chet."

Depending on the channel you tuned,
    You got Rob and Laura - or Ward and June.
    It felt so good. It felt so right.
    Life looked better in black and white.

I Love Lucy, The Real McCoys,
    Dennis the Menace, the Cleaver boys,
    Rawhide, Gunsmoke, Wagon Train,
    Superman, Jimmy and Lois Lane.

Father Knows Best, Patty Duke,
    Rin Tin Tin and Lassie too,
    Donna Reed on Thursday night!

I wanna go back to black and white.
    Everything always turned out right.
    Simple people, simple lives...
    Good guys always won the fights.

Now nothing is the way it seems,
    In living color on the TV screen.
    Too many murders, too many fights,
    I wanna go back to black and white.

In God they trusted, alone in bed they slept,
    A promise made was a promise kept.
    They never cussed or broke their vows.
    They'd never make the network now

But if I could, I'd rather be
    In a TV town in '53.
    It felt so good. It felt so right.

I'd trade all the channels on the satellite,
    If I could just turn back the clock tonight
    To when everybody knew wrong from right.
    Life was better in black and white!

Another Goody For The Old timers

My Mom used to cut chicken, chop eggs and spread mayo on the same cutting board with the same knife and no bleach, but we didn't seem to get food poisoning.

My Mom used to defrost hamburger on the counter AND I used to eat it raw sometimes, too. Our school sandwiches were wrapped in wax paper in a brown paper bag, not in ice pa ck coolers, but I can't remember getting e.coli.

Almost all of us would have rather gone swimming in the lake instead of a pristine pool (talk about boring), no beach closures then.

The term cell phone would have conjured up a phone in a jail cell, and a pager was the school PA system.

We all took gym, not PE... and risked permanent injury with a pair of high top Ked's (only worn in gym) instead of having cross-training athletic shoes with air cushion soles and built in light reflectors. I can't recall any injuries but they must have happened because they tell us how much safer we are now.

Flunking gym was not an option... even for stupid kids! I guess PE must be much harder than gym.

Speaking of school, we all said prayers and sang the national anthem, and staying in de tention after scho ol caught all sorts of negative attention.

We must have had horribly damaged psyches. What an archaic health system we had then. Remember school nurses? Ours wore a hat and everything.

I thought that I was supposed to accomplish something before I was allowed to be proud of myself.

I just can't recall how bored we were without computers, Pl ay Station, Nintendo, X-box or 270 digital TV cable stations. < FONT face=Arial size=5 siz e="5"> Oh yeah... and where was the Benadryl and sterilization kit when I got that bee sting? I could have been killed!

We played 'king of the hill' on piles of gravel left on vacant construction sites, and when we got hurt, Mom pulled out the 48- cent bottle of Mercurochrome (kids liked it better because it didn't sting like iodine did) and then we got our butt spanked.

Now it's a trip to the emergency room, followed by a 10-day dose of a $49 bottle of antibiotics, and then Mom calls the attorney to sue the contractor for leaving a horribly vicious pile of gravel where it was such a threat.

We didn't act up at the neighbor's house either because if we did, we got our butt spanked there and then we got butt spanked again when we got home.

I recall Donny Reynolds from next door coming over and doing his tricks on the front stoop, just before he fell off. Little did his Mom know that she could have owned our house. Instead, she picked him up and swatted him for being such a goof. It was a neighborhood run amuck.

To top it off, not a single person I knew had ever been told that they were from a dysfunctional family. How could we possibly have known that?

We needed to get into group therapy and anger management classes? We were obviously so duped by so many societal ills, that we didn't even notice that the entire country wasn't taking Prozac! How did we ever survive?

LOVE TO ALL OF US WHO SHARED THIS ERA, AND TO ALL WHO DIDN'T- SORRY FOR WHAT YOU MISSED. I WOULDN'T TRADE IT FOR ANYTHING

Pass this to someone (over age 40, of course), and brighten their day by helping them to remember that life's most simple pleasures are very often the best!

:D :D :D :D
  2. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

Yep much better back when I was young
  3. It pains me to admit, but I remember all of that. :D
  4. click

click New Member

Thanks for the smile.........:) You know i just realized we didn't have these smiley faces back then either and yet we managed a smile anyway!
  5. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Life was much simpler then.
  6. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

Remember all that. :)

Also remember listening to the radio, long before we knew there was anything like TV !!!!!! :rolleyes:
  7. Lead Lobber

Lead Lobber Former Guest

Sometimes my farts have pee (silent) in them, too. :eek: Glad I am not alone, in that respect. :)

LL
  8. "Hi ho Silver, awaaaaaay!" "This is the city, Los Angeles, California. I work here. I carry a badge." "The Phantom knows!" :D ;) :p And don't forget Amos 'n Andy, Marlin! ;)
  9. White Hawk

White Hawk New Member

My favorite show is missing: The Fugitive, starring David Janssen. Yes, you're right that it went to color halfway through the run.

Good thing for DVDs. I've got Lone Ranger, Gunsmoke, old Superman cartoons, and for the later stuff, Magnum PI, Rockford Files, Spenser: For Hire, and even Sledge Hammer!

TV these days just stinks. Even Kelly Hu has a new show (In Case of Emergency) and, for all her smoldering hotness, I can't stand it. Of course, I can't see it very well either, as I can't get the rabbit ears just right...
  10. berto64

berto64 Active Member

"The Shadow" radio serial. Used to listen to that and get the crap skeered outta me. Was just a leetle won.
  11. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

Now I'm not old, just maturing.:D But those were the Golden Years of TV!
  12. clmanges

clmanges New Member

Thanks for the memories, Gunfyter. Here's another one: when I was a kid, we all played in the woods, and one of the best toys was a plain old stick you found there, because it could be anything you wanted, a rifle, pistol, sword . . . with sticks in abundance and a pocket knife, I made even more sophisticated weapons; mostly spears for the frogs, but once I made my own archery set -- I had found a big beautiful feather from a hawk or an owl, cut a nice straight stick for a shaft, and split off the feather vanes and made quite a decent arrow. The bow wasn't much (another stick, of course, and some cable cord), but I spent only my time on it, and got back more than I put in.
    These days it's hard enough to find woods, and even harder to find kids who'll play there. Sorry for their loss.
  13. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

Remember the first time you saw the "Wizard of Oz" in COLOR???
    What a SHOCK.....
  14. catfish83861

catfish83861 Active Member

Sure seems to be a bunch of OLD FARTS on here today, Dang glad I lived long enough to be one of them. Most of the time anyway.:) I remember mom and dad going out to a friends house on Friday night. They stayed up and watched wrestling on channel two out of Oklahoma city. then I would ride home in the back seat of dads 49 Hudson up on the level area. What I did that?? Wonder I didn't get dead for sure:D . Oh yea! Red Skelton a true comedian who made you laugh and never once uttered a curse word. Why was it we laughed so much our sides hurt and never heard the "F" word or any thing else like it. His good night was always followed with "God Bless" So I will close with Good night and God Bless all of you and especially our troops. catfish
  15. Texman

Texman New Member

Yep,, guilty!!! OLD FART serior grade,,, I remember listening to the Shadow and Dick Tracy on the radio!! AM, radio, with tubes, and you could take the tubes to the local Radio shack and test them and buy replacments... jeeze,, If I had known I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself.