To crimp or not to crimp

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Guest, Feb 24, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

shooter45 us
    (3/18/01 10:22:49 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All To crimp or not to crimp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I'm ready to start reloading .38/.357 rounds for my revolver. Do I need to crimp these rounds or not. I'll be using 158 gr. SWC. Thanks.

Kdubya
    (3/18/01 10:54:31 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: To crimp or not to crimp
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Yup!
    Especially in revolvers. The bullets can work forward during recoil without a crimp and can jam the cylinder where it won't rotate. If you're loading light target loads, the roll crimp doesn't have to be real severe. I normally just leave the crimp adjustment alone and use the same for light and heavy loads in my .357/.38 Spl.
    You'll notice I said roll crimp - don't use a taper crimp on these.
    Keep off the Ridgeline!!

shooter45 us
    (3/19/01 7:01:12 am)
    Kdubya, Thanks.

TYRVR
    (3/19/01 7:03:19 pm)
    Another reason to crimp is consistency, loads perform better when all things are the same, if You have A tight case, as opposed to A semi-tight case, the velocity is going to be affected, not drastically, but enough to be noticable, especially in lighter bulletweights,

shooter45 us
    (3/20/01 12:24:53 am)
    Tye, thanks.

SW Man
    (7/7/01 1:01:50 am)
    Another thing to consider is what type of crimp die you want to use. You can crimp with the seat die or use a seperate crimp die. Personally, I have a Lee Factory Crimp die for each caliber I load. I like the results i get better than crimping with the seat die. Extra step, but well worth it.
    The second admendment GUARANTEES the Constitution and the other nine.

rayra
    (7/15/01 3:10:41 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: To crimp or not to crimp
    Crimp everything! (just to varying degrees).
    Good crimp tech points made above.
    Crimp revolver to keep bullets from backing up / interfering with cylinder rotation. Crimp pistol rds to prevent bullets pushing back into casings from striking feed ramp. Crimp rifle for consistent velocity results.

And if you're using a progressive press (Dillon 550 for me), you have an extra die station, where I use a seperate crimp die. Works great, and the round rotates through that station anyway, so other than an iota of friction, costs nothing.

Rich

Edited by: rayra at: 7/15/01 4:13:11 am