To My TFF brothers in arms

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by Deacon_Man, Jun 7, 2012.

1. steve4102

steve4102 Former Guest

A couple things that may or may not be in your manual.

Start off with a couple rounds to make sure they fit-feed and fire. Nothing worse than having to pull bullets after the fact.

Load a dummy round or three and do the "plunk" test. That is to take the barrel out of the gun, drop a dummy round into the chamber. It should "plunk right in and fall right out when turned upside down. Forget the case gauge, use your barrel.

Do not get hung up on the OAL listed in the manuals. OAL is firearm specific not manual specific. After all, if the OAL used in the manual will not feed and fire in your pistol there is really no need to worry about pressure, is there. Find the longest OAL that fits-feeds and fires in Your pistol, start low and work up.

According to Lyman 4.3gr of Red Dot is the "Start" charge for 225gr Lead RN. Max is 5.3gr. I would start out at 4.5gr.

Depending on what bullet you are using in the Colt Lyman lists Start charges of 5.6gr and 6.1gr of Red Dot with 200gr lead. You should be fine at 6.0gr.
  2. soundguy

soundguy Well-Known Member

good info.

I also suggest you work up your loads using some sort of ladder test.

when i work up new rifle loads.. I load about 5 at mionimum and then start creeping up in .5g increments, making 3 rounds each till I get about 1gr away from max.. and then stop.. and go fire those noting where my best accuracy and groupings came from.. then the 1-2 that gave me best.. I go redevelop those with .1-.2 gr differences up and down till I 0 in on the load that is best accuracy and grouping.. then i record that in my notebook for future relaoding.

I do this on multiple powder types.. then compare the data sets.. see what powder and what load grains give me best. I also usually try 2 different projectiles.. or 3.. etc. for instance.. in 30-06 I worked up some 180g flat base spire points.. no crimp, for a bolt gun.. and then 150g and 170g spbt with a cannelure and crimp for semi-auto guns.

I then can compair all those data sets to see what I need to load, depending on what I am shooting. paper targets.. deer etc.. bolt gun.. or semi auto.. i got it all down in my spiral notebook.. so next batch is via cookbook.. :)
  3. Deacon_Man

Deacon_Man Member

You guys are really great, thanks for all your advice. I did use some old brass this morning acp and long colt to work up some dummys. When I had everything set to spec I started loading. I loaded 40 .45acp and 40 .45 long colt. Lee's instructions for setting up the dies is really great. I loaded about .2 grn above start load. When I finished all the loading I drove into Weatherford to the indoor range (Lone Star Gun Range) and tried my ammo out. Let me tell you it all fired just great. That was some of the most accurate rounds I have ever shot. My grouping is now half what it was. I never knew hand loaded ammo was so much better than factory made. I have had a lot of fun learning how to setup and load.
    I know I have just scratched the surface in the learning phase of reloading. All I will ever load is handgun ammo,I am not able to withstand the kick of a riffle due to health problems.
    Once again thanks to all of you for your help.
    John
  4. soundguy

every hand load I have mad including the first one out of the press is as accurate or beter than a white box of winchester off a walmart shelf. I figure if I can use that as a minimum standard. IE.. consumer grade commercial ammo as my minimum quality level, and then go up from there at 1/3 to 1/2 the price.. I'm doing great..
  5. jlloyd73

jlloyd73 New Member

If the loads are available in a book or on the web from Hornaday I just go right in the middle of the charges. I haven't had any issues yet. I figure if someone already took the time to gather that data it should be reliable. I rather spend my time on case prep and making sure the charges stay consistent. BTW the LEE stuff has never done anything other than the exact same charge every time....good stuff. With that being said I am not doing competitive shooting either.........so as long as it goes bang and is consistent/safe I am fine with that.
  6. Gahunter12

Gahunter12 Active Member

Way to go! You are hooked on a new hobby now! Get some loads under your belt, then try out some WST under your lead bullets. WST reduced a lot of the smoke that comes with lead. I have been extremly happy with my 45acp loads with WST. W231 is also a good powder for 45acp, but seems to be a little dirty. Welcome to the club of hand loading!
  7. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

been workin alot. But here now. ;)
  8. mikld

mikld Active Member

The satisfaction of choosing a load, assembling the components, then shooting your creation is priceless! Welcome to the brotherhood of brass scroungers! Next comes casting your own lead bullets:ya:
  9. soundguy

i gotta start that too....
  10. bobski

bobski Former Guest

im strickly a 6.6 unique 230 ball man for 45 acp myself.
    gives exact military ball ammo performance.
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2012