To spray or not to spray?

Discussion in 'Self Defense Tactics & Weapons' started by dbl tap, Jan 20, 2007.

1. dbl tap

dbl tap New Member

I know when to draw my firearm and when not to. However, I also carry pepper spray in me thunderwear. I don't know the laws regarding the use of pepper spray. I'm getting up there in the years and am not sure if I want to tangle with some young tough guy punk. I am sure I can't handle myself like when I was younger. Here in Tampa we have our share of punks looking for a target to fight hand to hand. If a physical assault is immanent, can I use non lethal pepper spray to fend of the unwanted attack legally? Is there anything I should be aware of? Thanks, Dbl Tap
  2. 22WRF

22WRF Well-Known Member

Yes in Florida only a Tear Gas gun is consider a conceled weapon and requires a CCW.

I would not want to stake my life on pepper spray I perfer Hydra-Shock JHP
    out of a 357
  3. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Dbl

If it is obvious that harm is going to come to you, then yes, thats what it's for, but even then you should know that you may have to explain your side of the story to a judge...The can that I have states that it is a felony to use it for anything other than self defense. My opinion is...You KNOW when things aren't right, the bad guy/guys are most likely not going to call the police on you. If I thought I needed it I wouldn't hesitate to use it and worry about the rest later.

Also, I'm going to move this over to the self defense area of our forms here.

Welcome to the forums Bro, glad to have you here. :)

Crpdeth
  4. Crpdeth

Crpdeth Active Member

Good advice, thats what I carry unless I'm out running or something like that.

Crpdeth
  5. Some states look upon pepper spray as if it were some sort of deadly weapon and require a license to even possess it. California is an example of that mindset, as idiotic as it may be. Here in Colorado it may be purchased in any police or sporting goods supply store and no permit of any kind is required. If you misuse it, the same rules apply as if you had misused any other object for self-defense, a 2x4 for example. ;)

Personally, I place no trust whatsoever in pepper spray. While it may work in some cases, there are far too many out there to whom it is little more than a mild sauce for their tacos! :D ;) Like Crp, I want something just a bit more reliable, preferably a Hydra Shok or Gold Dot in 9mm or larger! :cool:
  6. 358 winchester

358 winchester *TFF Admin Staff*

185 gr. golden sabers or HYDRA-SHOK from my 45ACP and when I get to court there is only one side of the story to be told MINE ! That is the ONLY spray I carry in Fl.
  7. Marlin T

Marlin T Active Member

I HAD a cat that sprayed once.
  8. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

I think pepper spray/OC is overrated. It works best on those who aren't going to be a problem anyway. An aggressive person is not affected much in my experience. Now if your state allows Tasers that might be a better choice.
  9. Pat Hurley

Pat Hurley Former Guest

Sorry. I thought this was bathroom etiquette thread.

Pat Hurley
  10. satellite66

satellite66 New Member

Conventional wisdom dictates lighting a match and not spraying. :D
  11. southernshooter

southernshooter New Member

I don't use mace because of the fact is I have seen it on multiple times blow back on the users face.
  12. Bruce FLinch

Bruce FLinch New Member

:eek:

It's the courteous & less confrontational thing to do, too.
    Mr. Manners :D
  13. pickenup

pickenup Active Member

I don't carry spray, I'll use the real thing, and tell "my" side when the time comes.
  14. Right on, Pick. Making sure, of course, that there is only one side left to tell! :D
  15. dbl tap

dbl tap New Member

I have no problem with one less BG in the world. There's too many as it is. I think when you tell that one sided story there needs to be a weapon next to the BG's body. Not just a balled up fist.
    There are a lot of young jerks out there with chips on there shoulders, that just want to prove there manhood. They deserve to grow up not get shot. I would never draw on an unarmed hand thrower.

To the effects of pepper spray. I have sprayed at least a half dozen dogs during walks in my rural neighborhood in the last 5 years and it is very effective. The best way to deploy it is while you retreat. So you are moving away from the a attacker.
    I touched my nose about 10 minutes after deploying it and I hacked for 20 minutes with just the trace amount that got on my finger. Thanks for the advice...Dbl Tap
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2007