1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Tobin Arms Shotgun

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by backdraft341, Nov 7, 2008.

1. backdraft341

backdraft341 New Member

i have a old tobin arms shotgun i dont know how old it is or what its worth. its a double barrell 12 guage. serial number is 2859. thanks for any help.
  2. Contenderizer

Contenderizer New Member

Welcome to TFF, Backdraft,

Tobin (Tobin Simplex) was a trade name used on shotguns made by an unknown manufacturer. These guns were sold by G.B. Crandall Co, Limited, of Woodstock, Ontario, Canada. A photo might help us determine the approximate age and value, but it will only be an educated guess.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2008
  3. backdraft341

backdraft341 New Member

i will try to get some pics today. thanks for the help.
  4. Anchor Clanker

Anchor Clanker Member

There were two Tobin Arms Companys. One was Tobin Arms Mfg Co. LTD.located in Canada from 1909 to 1923. The other was Tobin Arms Mfg Co (notice, no LTD) located in Norwich,MA from 1903 to 1907. At the moment, I don't know if they were related The Canadian company made their gun, the Tobin Simplex for and it was sold by G. Crandell Company of Woodstock Ontario Canada. As has been said many times before value depends on the condition of the gun. Guns by either maker would be considered as "Trade Brand Name" shotguns and would have a value of approximately $250 for one in factory new condition to less than $10 for a rusty rotten incomplete piece of junk that might make a good boat anchor.
  5. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

I know this is a 2 year old thread but I was doing some research on a Tobin and I came across this thread. I figured I would give a little more info in case anyone else came across this as the info given is not really correct. Tobin shotguns were not trade brand name shotguns. That is the name of the company that made them which was named after its founder. The Norwich, MA co. and the Canadian company are one in the same, not 2 different companies. Tobin was from Canada but for the first few years he manufactured guns in the US. For some reason he decided to move back to Canada and began making guns there. There were different grades of Tobin shotguns from plain to highly engraved. When the Tobin company went out of business, one of their gunsmiths by the name of Crandell bought the remaining stock of parts and continued assembling guns until roughly 1951. If you find a Tobin shotgun , especially one of the higher end ones, you will not buy it fot $200.00. Again, this is just a little added info in case anyone else on the net came across this.
    Last edited: May 12, 2011
  6. FloridaFialaFan

FloridaFialaFan New Member

Best info I've ever found on the Tobin story was in Wikipedia. Just need to put the name TOBIN ARMS CO. in their search engine. Frank Tobin, founder of the company, when he got Canadian buyers lined up he bought out his US partners in CT and moved the company to Woodstock, Ontario. He built the FIRST shotgun factory in Canada. His company was internationally know for top of the line double scatterguns.

I own one of his unknown guns, a single-shot .22rf rifle. Managed to learn its story and document it with printed ads of the era, from a very knowledgeable gun guy who lives in Ontario. My article on its history is supposed to be published in the 2012 Edition Gun Digest. Look for it.

Only 6 such rifles reported/observed, so far. Four in Canada and two in US.

[​IMG]

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
  7. doubleslover

doubleslover Member

You have a nice looking rifle and a piece of uncommon firearm history. Cherish it. I am looking at a Tobin shotgun right now but still haven't made up my mind. You know what happens if one procrastinates!
  8. FloridaFialaFan

Time, Tide, and a good deal on a wanted gun, all have one thing in common - they wait on no man. So, don't wait too long to make up your mind.

Below is a full page ad from, The Rod And Gun In Canada magazine, which is the only source found to show an ad for the rifle. This one is 1912. Rod & Gun was also HQd in Woodstock, Ontario, so it was two local businessmen "makin' a deal."

[​IMG]

The little "$5 Boy Scout Rifle" was offered to youngsters FREE when they sold 5 annual subscriptions to the magazine. However, when they managed to sell just TWO, they could turn those in for a fancy nickel-plated pocket watch. So guess what most of 'em did when they got to the two...

The rifle is not even mentioned in any of the Tobin catalogs right up through when Crandall took over sales and operated it until 1935. It's kinda' "the little rifle that never was."

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF
    Last edited: May 29, 2011
  9. FloridaFialaFan

By the way, and just for the record, Tobin did NOT specialize in "trade brand name" guns. His doubles were world renowned for quality and beauty. Many are fully engraved and still sell for several thousands of dollars yet today.

Also, Norwich, where Frank Tobin started the company, is in Connecticut, NOT Massachusetts!

Best regards ~ ~ ~ FFF