Tobin Firearms

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Buckaroojones, Oct 6, 2011.

1. Buckaroojones

Buckaroojones New Member

I have a Tobin Firearms salesman sample double barrel shotgun. It is in mint condition and is 12 ga. The barrel is short as well as the stock. One side is cut away so you can see the action . Every part works as a real firearm but it does not fire. It has numbers and some letters on the stock . I was told by the gentleman I purchased it from it was made between 1905 and 1910. Has anybody ever heard of such a thing or seen one. What is the value of this unusual item.Thank you for any info , tom.
  2. Jim K

Jim K New Member

Wikipedia can give you more information than I can give you here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tobin_Arms

Value of a Tobin Arms shotgun will depend primarily on the grade to begin with and currect condition. They made some pretty high grade guns, so those should bring more. The problem is that there is not the collector interest in most shotguns that there is in other firearms, and for something like that there will be very few sales to use as a comparison.

Posting some good pictures of the gun, both sides and top, might help in an evaluation.

Jim
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

In the US, the value of a "cut-away" demo gun is fairly low, unless it is a military model. In Great Britain there is a large demand for such pieces and prices are higher, accordingly. Over the years, I've seen a bunch of cut away, demo guns at gunshops and shows and most of them remain on the shelves and tabled for long periods of time, as most are apparently over priced for the market and under appreciated by the general public. Don't know how to value your cut-away - it might be worth quite a bit to a Tobin collector - your job, then, is to find that person.
  4. Brisk44

Brisk44 New Member

Sounds cool.
  5. Tom Archer

Tom Archer Member

I collect/research vintage double guns; and although I have never seen a Tobin cut-a-way salesman salesman, such pieces were commonly used at shows and exhibitions from this early era to promote interest and gun sales. Generally such pieces are rare; and depending on its remaining condition and collector interest, could have good value, as I am aware of a couple of LC Smith cut-a-way salesman samples selling in excess of $4K at auction. If the piece were mine and I wanted to sell, I'd probably contact an austion company such as James Julia and discuss the piece with them. One thing's for sure, all vintage double gun collectors monitor Julia Auctions; and given their advertising efforts, the piece will be well publicized to the point that all dedicated Tobin collectors will be aware of its existence. That said, there isn't a huge collector interest in Tobin guns, and I can count all the rabid Tobin collectors I know on two fingers; but all it takes at an auction is two bidders competing for the same rare piece to realize a very nice hammer price.