1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

Todays ladder test results

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by hunte567, Nov 18, 2011.

1. hunte567

hunte567 New Member

Today I shot my 7mm at 200yds with powder ranging from 57.5 to 60.5. I shot until I had a load lodged in my chamber and had to quit. I think my sweet spot is from 59.5 to 60.5. Let me know what yall think and what next. Thanks, Neil

Attached Files:

• tar3.jpg
      tar3.jpg
      File size:
      266.1 KB
      Views:
  2. rcairflr

rcairflr Well-Known Member

I think before you make that conclusion, that you need to load some more in the 59.5-60.5 weight range and see if the results repeat
  3. LDBennett

LDBennett Well-Known Member

hunte567:

This ladder test procedure sounds good as it minimizes ammo use but.....

Over the years I have made up loads for many guns and shot many five shot groups. It is the rare five shot group that does not have at least one shot that is slightly away from all the rest. How does the shooter know when using the ladder test that the ones on the target are not one or more of those slightly errant shots? So many things impact the accuracy that this test seems inconclusive to me and may waste time and ammo chasing a combo that was not really the best one.

The ladder testing may be a way to get started in load development but nothing short of five shot groups, in my experience, will get you to that "sweet" spot in the development of a load for a gun. I do hope you follow up the ladder testing with some serious five shot groups. Do let the gun cool down between shots to get the true answer. Since I target shoot mostly I shoot five shot groups without a cool down but most of my guns are varmint or heavy barrel guns. Hunters may be happy with three shot groups without a cool down between any of them to better represent the way the gun is used in the field.

LDBennett
  4. JLA

JLA Well-Known Member

Read this.. http://www.desertsharpshooters.com/manuals/incredload.pdf

It thoroughly explains how to properly do a ladder test, and will answer all your questions LD.

I would also like to add that in order to realize the benefits a ladder test provides you you have to be capable of shooting at least MOA, SUB MOA is better. If the best you can do is Minute of Grapefruit at 100 yds then youd be well suited with a middle of the road load from your manual of whatever powder and bullet is listed.

Please nobody take me wrong on this, not being able to shoot SUB MOA doesnt mean youre a sucky shot, being able to achieve consistent SUB MOA skill requires alot of discipline and tons of practice. 90% of shooters do well to shoot 4 MOA at 100 yds. Thats a group, roughly the size of an orange dome clay pidgeon.