The Firearms Forum banner

Tomahawk/Hatchet

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sackett 
#1 ·
I was way impressed with Mel Gibson's usage of the tomahawk in "The Patriot". Then I saw the History channel discuss the military's usage of them today, even in Iraq.
I thought about getting one, more as a collectors item from the American Tomahawk Company that apparently supplies the military, but they do seem a little costly.
Does anyone have one? Been trained in how to use one? etc. I've never seen myself as a blade person, but the idea of having workable piece of "americana" does have an appeal for me.
Any thoughts?

#2 ·
I feel the same.

A good hawk is really expensive around $120 and up. I have seen some cheep ones, and know they would probably not hold an edge.

Some day, I'll get one and have it for a lifetime.

In the intrim, I got myself an Estwing roofing hatchet. I do not throw it. I carry it in a leather hammer holder. It holds a razor edge and is not very heavy. It has a hammer head oposite the blade. It works great for trimming branches outta my tree stand.

I am sure it does not compare to a nice hawk, but it's what I got now.

#5 ·
I saw some firefighters on the History Channel's program discussing the usage of the tomahawk. I think they were showing how to break into problematic cars with it. An interesting scene was when the instructor was demonstrating how to use the tool to first flatten the tires of a car in order to rescue someone. At least I think thats what he was demonstrating before he broke the windows. I did not understand why he flattened the tires.
I suppose I'll just have to lay out the bucks to get a good quality tomahawk.
I visited the American Tomahawk's website and they showed some videos of defensive/offensive usage.
I think it is a pity that more of our soldiers are not taught a variety of skills using a variety of weapons. Though my nephew, who was in Artillery, could drop a rocket in a barrel at 20 miles, and qualified as a marksman with his M16, he never mentioned using other weapons in his training. Perhaps one has to become more specialized in other areas to get that training. I'll talk to him some more about it.

G
#6 ·
If you have the firefighter's hatchet or axe with the spike, flattening the tires is faster than setting chocks. It makes the car much less likely to roll away while you are battering on it, trying to get someone out.

Pops

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.