Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WyomingSwede, Oct 19, 2003.

1. WyomingSwede

WyomingSwede Guest

This was forwarded to me. Even if it is not true...it ought to be...

swede

>Subject: Tomb of the Unknown
    >
    >The Third Infantry Regiment at Fort Myer has the responsibility for providing
    >ceremonial units and honor guards for state occasions, White House social
    >functions, public celebrations and interments at Arlington National
    >Cemetery....and standing a very formal sentry watch at the Tombs of the Unknowns. The
    >public is familiar with the precision of what is called "walking post" at the
    >Tombs. There are roped off galleries where visitors can form to observe the
    >troopers and their measured step and almost mechanical silent rifle shoulder changes.
    >They are relieved every hour in a very formal drill that has to be seen to
    >believe. Some people think that when the Cemetery is closed to the public in the
    >evening in the evening that this show stops. First, to the men who who are
    >dedicated to this work...it is no show...it is a "charge of honor".The formality
    >and precision continues uninterrupted all night. During the nighttime, the
    >drill of relief and the measured step of the on duty sentry remain unchanged
    >from the daylight hours. To these men...these special men, the continuity of this
    >post is the key to the honor and respect shown to these honored dead,
    >symbolic of all American unaccounted for American combat dead. The steady rhythmic
    >step in rain, sleet, snow, hail, hot, cold...bitter
    >cold...uninterrupted...uninterrupted is the important part of the honor shown. Last night, while you were
    >sleeping, the teeth of hurricane Isabel came through this area and tore hell
    >out of everything... We have thousands of trees down...power outages...traffic
    >signals out...roads filled with down limbs and "gear adrift" debris...We have
    >flooding...and the place looks like it has been the impact area of an off
    >shore bombardment. The Regimental Commander of the U.S. Third Infantry sent word
    >to the nighttime Sentry Detail to secure the post and seek shelter from the
    >high winds, to ensure their personal safety. THEY DISOBEYED THE ORDER...During
    >winds that turned over vehicles and turned debris into projectiles...the
    >measured step continued. One fellow said "I've got buddies getting shot at in Iraq
    >who would kick my butt if word got to them that we let them down...I'm sure as
    >hell have no intention of spending my Army career being known as the goddam
    >idiot who couldn't stand a little light breeze and shirked his duty."
    >
    >....Then he said something in response to a female reporters question
    >regarding silly purposeless personal risk...."I wouldn't expect you to understand.
    >it's an enlisted man's thing." God Bless the rascal...In a time in our nation's
    >history when spin and total bullshit seems to have become the accepted
    >coin-of-the-realm, there beat hearts...the enlisted hearts we all knew and were so
    >damn proud to be a part of...that fully understand that devotion to duty is not
    >a part time occupation. While we slept, we were represented by some damn fine
    >men who fully understood their post orders and proudly went about their
    >assigned responsibilities unseen, unrecognized and in the finest tradition of the
    >American Enlisted Man. Folks, there's hope....The gene that George S.
    >Patton...Arliegh Burke and Jimmy Doolittle left us...survives. Now, go have another cup
    >to pop rivet your eyelids I've got to go to work.
    >
    >DN from a subvet friend in our nation's capital~
    >
    >...More....
    >
    >On the ABC evening news, it was reported tonight that, because of the dangers
    >from Hurricane Isabel approaching Washington DC, the military members
    >assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unkown Soldier were given permission to
    >suspend the assignment. They refused. "No way, Sir!"
    >Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they
    >said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor
    >that can be afforded to a service person. The tomb has been patrolled
    >continuously, 24/7, since 1930.
    >
    >Addition to this : I saw an interview on Fox News Channel with the Commander
    >of the soldiers who guard the Tomb of the unknown. He took the shift when
    >Isabel was unleashing her fury, cause he did not want to ask any of his men
    >to do this - he felt it was his highest honor to be on duty during that time.
    >
    >Very, very proud of our persons in uniform!!!!!!
    >
    >I don't usually suggest that e-mails be forwarded, but I'd be DAMN proud if
    >this one reached as many as possible.
    >
  2. SouthernMoss

SouthernMoss *Admin Tech Staff*

According to snopes.com, it's pretty much true, except that they did not disobey a direct order to seek shelter. There was a contingency plan to take up positions in the trophy room if the winds reached 120mph, but it was not put into effect.

Here's the entire snopes article:
    http://www.snopes.com/military/isabel.htm

I have the utmost respect and admiration for these men and their respect for their fallen comrades, as well as every serviceman/woman who commits their lives to ensure that mine stays free.

God bless them all.
  3. Marlin

Marlin *TFF Admin Staff Chief Counselor*

I'll second Southern's comments. You all know how I feel by my reply in the prior thread specifically on the hurricane issue.

Received a note yesterday containing and old write-up re: our military. Here it is for a refreshing review. It reportedly was a conversation between Col Glenn and Senator Metzenbaum:

Some people still don't understand why military personnel do what they do for a living.

This exchange Between Senators John Glenn and Howard Metzenbaum is worth reading. Not only is it a pretty impressive
    and impromptu speech, but it's also a good example of one man's
    explanation of why men and women in the Armed Services do what they do for a living.

This IS a typical, though sad, example of what some who have never served think of the Military.

Senator Metzenbaum to Senator Glenn: "How can you run for Senate when you've never held a "real job?"

Senator Glenn: "I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps. I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by antiaircraft fire on 12 different occasions. I was in the Space Program.

It wasn't my checkbook, Howard; it was my Life on the line. It was not a nine to five job, whereI took time off to take the daily cash receipts to the bank. I ask you to go with me ... as I went the other day... to a Veterans Hospital and look those men - with their mangled bodies - in the eye, and tell THEM they didn't hold a job! You go with me to the Space Program at NASA and go, as I have gone, to the widows and orphans of Ed White, Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee...and you look those kids in the eye and tell them that their DADS didn't hold a job. You go with me on
    Memorial Day and you stand in Arlington National Cemetery, where I have more friends buried than I'd like to remember, and you watch those waving flags. You stand there, and you think about this Nation, and you tell ME that those people didn't have a job? I'll tell you, Howard Metzenbaum, you should be on your knees every day of your life thanking God that there were some men - SOME MEN - who held a REAL job. And they required a
    dedication to a purpose - and a love of country and a dedication to duty

- that was more important than life itself. And their self-sacrifice is
    what made this country possible.

I HAVE held a job, Howard! ---What about you?"

For those who don't remember - During WWII, Howard Metzenbaum was an attorney representing the Communist Party in the USA. Now he is a Senator. (Note: Not any longer. The people in Ohio wised up and got rid of him, finally!)
  4. Tony Mig

Tony Mig New Member

These are truely incredible soldiers, and something we all should be proud of.
  5. ibtrukn

ibtrukn New Member

And I would remind every one, they are AMERICANS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  6. cointoss2

cointoss2 Guest

Proud of these and all our troops; thanks Swede for shareing this.
  7. frosty

frosty New Member

I am humbled by what I have just read............to many feelings at once to say anything of caliber.