Too cold for the range?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ARB, Feb 10, 2010.

1. ARB

ARB New Member

Was talking to one of my coworkers on the phone today about going out to the range. I've been itching to go but it's darn cold out there. I think right now the windchill is in the single digits. Is this just a minor inconvenience to any of you, or would you suck it up and go?
  2. pinecone70

pinecone70 Active Member

I have done it, but my fingers have a tendency to freeze and it's only fun for a little while. Crummy, frigid temperatures, I hope spring arrives soon!
  3. islenos

islenos New Member

Never too hot, Never too cold, Never too windy and Never too much rain.

Wow, come to think of it, maybe I should work for the post office:eek:
  4. ARB

ARB New Member

Sure, I've done it as well. Well, maybe not when it was this cold. I'm not sure I want to drive forty minutes round trip to freeze my booty off. Maybe, that's why they invented a thermos. Hmmm...
  5. Insulation Tim

Insulation Tim Well-Known Member Supporting Member

I went last week but didn't last long. The RSO and I were the only two there. After about 30 shots, I couldn't hardly dig my reloads out of the box to feed the Kimber.

Gave up as the fingers were white and numb.
  6. ARB

ARB New Member

I think your experience just sealed the deal for me. My cabin fever isn't so bad after all.
  7. blackcat_attilio

blackcat_attilio Member

Never too cold and never too hot, me and my buddy go to the range whenever we can. Only rain is not nice.
  8. ARB

ARB New Member

I guess, I'm just a big sissy!:)
  9. cakes

cakes New Member

Do you carry a gun in the cold? If so, you should practice shooting it in the cold.
  10. ARB

ARB New Member

Oh, I can shoot just fine in the cold. As many a squirrel has found out. I was just going to warm up the .22 for the heck of it. That concrete bench and steady wind, just don't seem very appealing today.:)
  11. dianalv

dianalv New Member

We shoot in all kinds of weather, wind especially, because we hunt in all kinds of weather and it's practical experience. But kinda takes the fun out of it when you are shivering too much to stay still enough to hit the target and your fingers are numb and your eyes are watering....

Had one deer hunt where I had a beautiful buck 100 yards away, but the wind was so strong I couldn't shoot him. Even lying prone with the gun on a pack behind whatever cover I could find on the exposed face of the mountain, I couldn't hold the gun steady enough. The wind gusts were buffeting me all over the place. When I finally gave up and headed back to camp, I got knocked down every 10 feet by the wind. Now that was miserable. Then it started snowing.... and didn't quit. Got back to camp and the tent was down and my stuff was strewn halfway down the mountain. Never did find everything.
  12. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

I draw the cut-off at 17ยบ. It's just not 'fun' when it's any colder. It's much nicer to partake of my other gun hobby on these cold days: Re-Loading!
  13. ARB

ARB New Member

I've got to say, that sounds pretty horrible!:eek:
  14. dianalv

dianalv New Member

Yeah, it got worse. Rigged the tent to get me through the night, got up the next morning determined to shoot the first thing that had horns on it and get the heck out of there while I still could. I was camped at 8000 feet on a narrow ledge on the side of a very steep mountain with a twisty turny road and I was the only person back there. I was afraid with all the snow the truck wouldn't make the turns and I'd slide down the mountain and then I'd be thoroughly screwed. Long walk out to civilization.

So, next morning I head up the mountain after an absolutely miserable night knocking snow off the tent so it wouldn't collapse on me. Saw a little forky about a mile out from camp and shot him. Took me five trips to pack that itty bitty deer out by myself. Damn that was steep country. Had over a foot of snow, the wind was still blowing, the coyotes were fighting over the gut pile right next to me while I quartered him up and you couldn't see two feet in front of your face. About the third trip back to camp, I'm laughing myself silly (probably hysterical by that time), because the truth was I was as miserable as I'd ever been (froze, exhausted, cut and bruised from falling) and I was having the time of my life. Figured at that point I was certifiable. All for a stupid little forky!
  15. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Yes, it is too cold for this old man to go out to the range. But I have a temporary fix. $26 at Walmart and then down into the basement where it is still warm and using the old bullet trap. The Daisy doesn't get the neighbors all in a wad.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  16. mrkirker

mrkirker New Member

Yer gonna put yer eye out, Kid!
  17. Dirtypacman

Dirtypacman New Member

I went 2 weekends ago when it was about 8 degrees with some decent wind. Although I bundled up I still only made it about 45 minutes outside before I decided to pack it up.

If I have a fire or place to warm myself every 45-1 hour I would be able to spend the whole day :)
  18. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

MrKirker, I was waiting for that one, ha. But you have to admit it is wood and blued steel (sort of).
  19. todd51

todd51 Well-Known Member

Pacman, This past November we added a fire pit to the range just for these cold days. Problem was the three retired firefighters couldn't get a decent fire going with out the aid of the leaf blower. We're pretty good at putting them out just not so much when it comes to stating them.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2013
  20. ARB

ARB New Member

I think I'm going to Walmart! My Red Ryder has seen a little action this season. Mostly, me standing with the sliding glass door to the Man's Room opened a bit shooting cans attached to the fence. That contraption, is much more desirable.